View Poll Results: Which is more powerful ?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45 acp

16 31.37%
  • 45 colt

35 68.63%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
    Feedback Score
    151 (100%)
    GA Carry Contributor NRA Contributor Gun Owners of America Contributor DaveTheMinion Tribute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bypass View Post
    Bullet weight is only 180 though.
    Not even that, it seems.
    http://www.shopcorbon.com/Glaser-Pow...20/600/Product

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckdog View Post
    Long Colt makes my skin crawl just a quick as hearing a 1911 slam closed on an empty chamber. You ain't gonna stop folks from using Long Colt anymore than you'll stop em' from slammin' 1911's. I just let it go. Choose your battles?
    Hey, I've been mindful of this!

Feedback Score
    151 (100%)
    GA Carry Contributor NRA Contributor Gun Owners of America Contributor DaveTheMinion Tribute

Feedback Score
    227 (100%)
    DaveTheMinion Tribute
    More POWERFUL? .45 Colt, in some of the "Boutique" Maker's loadings...More PRACTICAL? .45 ACP...Gotta' LOVE those Smith Revo's w/the Full Moon Clips!!!....mikey357
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

ODT Junkie!
    Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HGUNHNTR View Post
    had to immortalize that in my sig line.
    Haha, hey man I have to give credit where credit is due.

And at least it replaced that other liberal BS you had in your sig line...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    79 (100%)
    DaveTheMinion Tribute
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckdog View Post
    Long Colt makes my skin crawl just a quick as hearing a 1911 slam closed on an empty chamber. You ain't gonna stop folks from using Long Colt anymore than you'll stop em' from slammin' 1911's. I just let it go. Choose your battles?
    The Long & Short of the .45 Colt
    by Jim Taylor
    The debate over whether there is a .45 "Long" Colt cartridge is an on-going one that has been active for probably 75 years. Elmer Keith alluded to the arguments many years ago when he wrote "...Some newcomers to the game claim there is no such animal, but if they had shot the short variety that Remington turned out in such profusion before, during and after World War I they would see there was some basis in referring to the .45 Colt as the .45 Long..." (Sixguns, page 285)
    As far as I know there have never been any .45 Colt cartridges headstamped "Long" and though I have reports of old cartridge boxes marked "45 Long" I have never personally seen any. Mr. Keith referred to them from time to time as "long" Colt's (with a small "L"). If you have ever seen the short Colt .45's you can understand why.
    The Winchester .45 Colt's that Paco and I have came from Shootist Keith Owlett who gave them to us a short time before he passed on. The cartridge box is deteriorated and I have it put away now - at least what's left of it. But it is plainly marked ".45 Colt Government". The headstamp on the cartridges is ".45 Colt" ...BUT these are SHORT .45 Colts! The headstamp is the same as the longer .45 Colts, even down to the "W" on the primers.
    These are not S&W or Schofield cartridges. The rim diameter is the same as the long .45 Colts, which is smaller than the Schofield rim diameter. These are true .45 Short Colts. The cartridge is listed in Cartridges of the World on page 306 as ".45 Colt - .45 Colt Government".
    I can visualize someone walking into a hardware store around the turn of the last century and asking for a box of .45 Colt's. As the clerk pulls down a box the customer says, "Not the short ones. I want the Long Colts!" and the name ".45 Long Colt" came down to us as a "user-applied" name, not a factory name.
    While I can't prove it, I believe the usage was common since Colt had factory cartridges like the .32 Short Colt, .32 Long Colt, .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .41 Short Colt and the .41 Long Colt.
    I pulled one of the .45 shorts apart and weighed and measured it. The case is 1.1" long. The powder charge was black powder, approximately 28 grains. The bullet weighed right at 230 gr. and was lubed with a white chalky-looking substance. I fired one from my Ruger 7 1/2" barreled .45 and it went through the chronograph at near 750 fps.
    The following week I went out in the hills and called up a nice large coyote and shot him with the .45 short. He ran to within 10 feet of me, responding to the call. I pulled the gun up and shot, hitting him up through the right shoulder and spine, dropping him instantly. The little pointy bullet did not damage the pelt at all. I was able to tan the hide and make a nice looking wall hanging from it.
    He was probably the last critter on earth ever killed with a short .45 Colt!
    I trust in the one true GOD the creator of all and Jesus my Lord and Savior. Amen. Roll Tide!!!

Feedback Score
    79 (100%)
    DaveTheMinion Tribute
    Attachment 110763

- - - Updated - - -

Hows your skin feel now?
    I trust in the one true GOD the creator of all and Jesus my Lord and Savior. Amen. Roll Tide!!!

Feedback Score
    92 (99%)
    I voted acp. When looking at judges I found that. 410 offered very little over most handgun rounds, while 45 lc is traditionally lower pressure than acp due to it being a blackpowder cowboy load.
    P22manbell-- thats my two favorite things, guns & sex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    92 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguard View Post
    Who is dead first ?
    Marginal difference, aside from handguns chambered in 460, 500 mag etc, you're poking holes. An effective instant kill shot happens the same be it from a 22 or 500 magnum, but which.actually.does more damage? Yes, the long colt had been putting people in the sort a long time, so has the. 45 acp. In terms of power, it simple. Load up a traditional long colt revolver with a modern plus p loading, and.see if your hand survives.
    P22manbell-- thats my two favorite things, guns & sex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ODT Junkie!
    Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    DaveTheMinion Tribute
    Quote Originally Posted by BTL FED View Post
    O.K. they are both basically the same, 1 gets shot outta a revolver and the other a semi-auto.
    Nope. Even by that hard and fast standard of one being a semi-auto and one being a wheel gun you are still off the mark. S&W has made .45 ACP revolvers for years and still do. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bypass View Post
    Attachment 110763

- - - Updated - - -

Hows your skin feel now?
    OH Snap......
    GWL HOLDER, GCO MEMBER, C&R LICENSE. NRA MEMBER......Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? - Obi wan Kenobi,