• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 acp vs 45 colt which is more powerful ?

Which is more powerful ?

• 45 acp

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • 45 colt

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters
Guess you never heard of Corbon Powerball, it pushes a .45 ACP to 1225fps. and is bought over the counter....not "homemade".

Nope, never heard of a 265grain bullet at 1225 out of a 45acp. If you can order me a box, I'll take them for any price you attach to them. Consider them sold pending meet.

You only looked at half of the equation for foot pounds of energy my friend....mass is pretty important too.

Corbon used to load some 300 grain 45 colt loads to 1300 fps, even some 335 HC's in the velocity range your 165gr acp travels. There simply isn't enough room in the casing for 45acp to be able to compete with the 45 Colt in terms of energy.

Last edited:
If you are not talking about the weapons and calibers loaded to their traditional specs. Yes the long colt will win.

If you are not talking about the weapons and calibers loaded to their traditional specs. Yes the long colt will win.

Nope, the 45acp would. The 45 Colt (not Long Colt) began it's life as a black powder round. Contrary to the available loadings today the 45 Colt was actually initially loaded with a 230 grain projectile not the 250 (wikipedia is wrong). Velocities were about 100fps slower than what you would get from 45acp wwb when using black powder. Energies from the traditional 45 Colt vs. the smokeless powder fueled acp were lower as a result as well.

Last edited:
Nope, the 45acp would. The 45 Colt (not Long Colt) began it's life as a black powder round. Contrary to the available loadings today the 45 Colt was actually initially loaded with a 230 grain projectile not the 250 (wikipedia is wrong). Velocities were about 100fps slower than what you would get from 45acp wwb when using black powder. Energies from the traditional 45 Colt vs. the smokeless powder fueled acp were lower as a result as well.

You completely misread my post.

"If you are NOT talking about the weapons and calibers loaded to their traditional specs."

Long Colt makes my skin crawl just a quick as hearing a 1911 slam closed on an empty chamber. You ain't gonna stop folks from using Long Colt anymore than you'll stop em' from slammin' 1911's. I just let it go. Choose your battles?

Back
Top Bottom