• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

any members on here truck drivers (big rigs, not pick up truck)??

I've been thinking about a career change after working LE for 13 years. I was hoping to hear from some members that are OTR truck drivers that could possibly help me with a few questions or some information.

I'm in the same career field also for around 10 years now and I have considered the same damn thing recently.

Why would you want to give up working at a job where you are exempt from almost every law and regulation. To a job where every single thing you do is regulated by some rule or law?

Truckers get hassled all day every day by cops
It would be an eye opening experience for you.

In 20 years= pension! Over the road! Piss in a cup for the rest of your life, working for the rich man!!! In debt forever, I don't know, neither sounds too great to me!

I have over 1.5 million miles as a OTR driver and if yall have anything close to a decent job and/or family you're better off staying there. Truck drivers are the target of every eligible cop and lawyer as well as 80% of the public looking to sue someone.

I have over 1.5 million miles as a OTR driver and if yall have anything close to a decent job and/or family you're better off staying there. Truck drivers are the target of every eligible cop and lawyer as well as 80% of the public looking to sue someone.

this x2.

I'm not an OTR trucker, but have a class a. I was working for a local company doing local stuff. now I drive a tour bus for my brother in law's gospel group. I see the same thing doing both.

I hauled heavy/over sized equipment nothing long haul from coast to coast. it has it's up and downs but there are a lot more than just holding a steering wheel. I have friends that do. If you like being away from you family three weeks or more a month,sleep in a small box. eat where the truck will fit and fight a log book on hours that miles you need to make.
starting out a rookie your not going to be in a shinny new truck. you'll ride with someone till you get off probation. you will be forced to be together 24/7. they smoke you don't, they might shower once a week or a month. this is just some things I have heard from newbie truck drivers. no experience you might get .26 to .46¢ a mile
almost as much rules and regulations as a pilot oh and then theres HAZMAT

yall may like the road never know to you try. find someone take some vacation time get it approved and ride along.

OH!!! didn't you see all the trucks on TV during the snow Tuesday didn't that look like fun. those tires were not moving so drivers weren't making any money. missed there appointment broker's mad. you may have to wait a few day's for another drop time. no miles no pay, unless you get a percentage of the load but still setting on the side of the road don't pay.

don't get me wrong I liked what it did but it was still long days. glad it's all behind me though.

Back
Top Bottom