• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Caliber for DEER hunting in GA.

I found where a 407 lb was taken in a soybean field in Laurens Co with a 30-30.

Handgunner Join Date: Sep 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laurens county, my uncle. An 11 point buck weighed on cottonscales, dressed or live (can't remember) but I'm pretty sure it was dressed, at 407lbs. That was in the late 70's I think.

I know, probably a lot of people that's shaking their heads thinking my cheese has slipped off my cracker, but if you see the mount, you wouldn't doubt it.

HUGE!

Taken with a 30-30 from a soybean field.

I don't know if this the best for Georgia but I prefer 204gr Barnaul 7.62x54r fired from a Polish M44 with iron sights.

As a bonus, when firing prone, its an excellent way to clear a path 20'-30' in front of you to mark your spot in case you forget something. :)

Oh yea, I prefer they leave the barrel of a Browning.

Glad to hear I am not the only one with a Browning sickness!

I have three favorite calibers...and it all depends on the type of hunting I am doing on a given day. Brush hunting...gotta be the .35 Remington. Hunted with one for years at my dad's property (which is pretty much thicket land). Since Pop and I cleared shooting lanes last year, I prefer the tried and true .30-06 Savage Model 10 for hunting there now. On the occasions where I get to hunt an open field...I'd pick .25-06 without a doubt. Laser beam flat...and kills like a laser beam on the other end. I had to special order my .25-06 Browning X-Bolt since it doesn't seem to be a popular caliber around here.

I found where a 407 lb was taken in a soybean field in Laurens Co with a 30-30.

Handgunner Join Date: Sep 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laurens county, my uncle. An 11 point buck weighed on cottonscales, dressed or live (can't remember) but I'm pretty sure it was dressed, at 407lbs. That was in the late 70's I think.

I know, probably a lot of people that's shaking their heads thinking my cheese has slipped off my cracker, but if you see the mount, you wouldn't doubt it.

HUGE!

Taken with a 30-30 from a soybean field.

Actually...given the soybean field, I wouldn't doubt the old buck was that big. I took a 4-pointer that field dressed at 165 lbs. I don't know what he had been eating to get that big that quick...but he was a beast to drag out of the woods!

Back
Top Bottom