• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can Someone Help Me Tune A Cb Antenna?

05k20z1

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
I bought a CB radio and Antenna and was told that I need a tool called a SWR meter. I was wanting to ask if someone who have it could tune it locally (Lawrenceville/Buford) for me since that I will only need to use it once and rather not pay for the whole meter at radio shack.

Any help is appreciative. Thanks.

If it's a magnet-mounted antenna with coax and connector factory pre-installed, stick it on the center of your roof or top of your cab, run the coax out of the way and don't let it get kinked by windows or door jambs, screw the PL259 connector to the back of the CB and that should be it. You want to run a decent pair of wires to your vehicle battery or to the fuse block, NOT the cigarette lighter outlet. Those magnet mount type antennas have very little adjustment for SWR's it's more or less location, good RF ground plane and the ariel not being too close to metal objects for bad reflection. Once you're done, pull close to an interstate and on channel 19 key up and say "break one-nine for a radio check" and see if any truckers will acknowledge your existence... and ask if you're audio is OK and if they hear you OK. Common for factory tuned radios to be a smidgeon weak on the audio broadcast strength.

Common for magnet mount antennas to be higher in Standing Wave's anyhow, mainly due to the RF Grounding (or lack thereof) due to the magnet.

Thanks for the tip. I did exactly that too. But I'm afraid I may have less than a mile to play with currently....not sure if its because I got a basic setup. But the antenna does have a 4-5 inch adjustability and was wondering if getting it tune I would still get the 1 or maybe even 2 miles capabilities???

Back
Top Bottom