• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

could i chamber a savage 110 in 338 lapua magnum

That's a pretty serious cartridge. I'd check with Savage directly. Not sure about the length since I don't have access to a 110.

Savage sells a 110BA in 338 lapua it cost about $2200. You could see what they did to make it work in the 110 rifle. I personaly went with the 338 Remington ultra mag it is the same ballistics as the 338 lapua but alot cheaper to shoot and reload.

Unless you are absolutely stuck on the Lapua and that high dollar ammo then the .338 edge is the cats pajamas. It is a .300RUM necked up to .338. it has a larger case capacity than the .338RUM and is easily built on a magnum 110 (Same bolthead). There are lots of barrels being made for this one and lee will make you a set of dies for $50 if you send them 3 pieces of fired formed brass.
As the owner of a .300RUM I'm gonna ask you a question and make a comment. Are you sure you need/want that much gun? You might wanna shoot one first before spending all that money. There are some drawbacks to super duper magnums you might wanna know about like game disintegration even with properly placed shots,recoil induced trips to the doctor after more than a couple of shots, and ammo cost (even if you handload cause they aint givin away bullets and powder and 100grs at a time it goes quick).
BHJ
To answer your question you can do anything with enough money. how much do you wanna spend?

well ....basically im just mulling it around ...i mean im going to have to find one hell of a stock to set it all in ...i mean ...idk how heavy BC will make a medalist stock ...but unless i can get the over all weight in the 15 to 20 pound range its realy not going to be pleasurable to shoot correct ?.... and as far as long range shooting would i be better a different cartridge ...i want to be able to make 1000 yard plus shots ...but without having to build another 6ppc

I think you can do it, but will have to check with some guys I know on another forum, that have built some crazy stuff from a savage 110. Currently I am building a 264 win mag, out of what was formerly a Savage 110 in 300 Win mag. Also I have been waiting 10 weeks for the barrel I ordered, was supposed to be here in 2 weeks, but it now going to be August before I get it.

If that rifle in gonna be around 8 pounds or so, it is gonna kick the crap out of you.

Just checkd with the other forum, and yes you can rebarrel to 338 lapua, however you will have to have the bolt face machined to .585" diameter, as the standard magnums, such as 338 win mag, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, and the Remington Ultra Mag's all have a .540" diameter. Also there was talk about pressure concerns and whether or not that the 110 Action could hold up to it. Most are saying that the 338 Edge is a better suited for it. Hope it helps good luck on your decision.

Last edited:
Amarsh check out this article.http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/338-edge-1.php
This is an easy build with a 110 action.
I was always one of those guys that thought there was no such thing as too much gun or too dead until I saw it with my .300RUM
Back to what I was saying before the recoil is harsh.The recoil is listed at 38ft/lbs free recoil energy. After shooting 2 boxes from an 8lb rifle with a brake and a good recoil pad I was diagnosed with my ribs separated from my sternum This is with the parent case a .300RUM.
It burns Retumbo powder 100 grs at a time(again .300RUM) you get 70 rounds per pound.
It turns deer to purple mush even with a properly placed shot. The .338 edge at 1000yds is like putting a .308 up against a deers fur and pulling the trigger. You probably dont even wanna see what a .300RUM with full power 180gr sirocco bonded bullets does at 250yds
I'm just trying to let you know right up front the super duper magnums are a whole different class of gun.
Now a 20Lb bench gun may be tolerable but its still gonna cost $ to play.also make darn sure to lap the locking lugs for full contact even with the floating bolthead.
Good luck and have fun BHJ

Last edited:
A 338 Winchester Magnum can turn a deer in mush as well. Nailed a buck at 70 yards with 225 grains hornady interlocks, hit the shoulder, the whole front end of the deer was worthless.

Back
Top Bottom