• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer Hunting on a WMA

I have had shots fired close by while hunting Nat. Forest . I holler loudly to let them know there are other folks close by . Dont care what nationality or color they are or what they are drinking . If I get shot it WILL be on purpose . Don't be scared of strangers . Cautious , yes .

How common is it to see people out like this and/or poaching? I just got my license for the first time this year and would at least like to harvest some doe for meat. However, I would like to avoid any trouble. Would it be better try to find someone with property or a deer lease and pay some fee or offer a share of the meat? Unfortunately, none of my immediate family or friends are much into guns or hunting so it's hard to get sound advice.

- - - Updated - - -

How common is it to see people out like this and/or poaching? I just got my license for the first time this year and would at least like to harvest some doe for meat. However, I would like to avoid any trouble. Would it be better try to find someone with property or a deer lease and pay some fee or offer a share of the meat? Unfortunately, none of my immediate family or friends are much into guns or hunting so it's hard to get sound advice.

I was shot on a wma a few years ago and all i can say is i will never go back to any of those places due to the dumb ass people and waste of air illegals that are on those lands! you should have done the world a favor and shot and buried them on the spot! next time, call the dnr!

I was shot on a wma a few years ago and all i can say is i will never go back to any of those places due to the dumb ass people and waste of air illegals that are on those lands! you should have done the world a favor and shot and buried them on the spot! next time, call the dnr!

:confused: you were SHOT on a wma???? That requires a story sir.....and pics.

His story and the scar he showed me is the reason I have not went on the WMA's. So I have not been able to hunt at all.

I was at redlands wma hunting behind the shooting range after it was shut down. I heard someone doing some random shooting when I felt a hard hit and pressure on my hip. I thought I must have popped a limb up or something but when i took another step, I felt a burning sensation and a needle like feeling in my side. I looked dow n and through my coveralls I was turning red...that's when I knew I had been hit. I was lucky that I was wearing such thick clothing because it was a 22LR that hit me! I was told it was my clothes that stopped the bullet from doing more damage. That's when I stopped hunting public land unless its a very low hunted land. And yes I had my orange on with an orange face mask as well!

Back
Top Bottom