• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GLOCK 17, Made in USA

ngcsugrad09

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
119   0
Reaction score
USA made GLOCK 17

I originally posted a while back about a GLOCK 17 made in the US. Since then, I was able to obtain the pistol from the owner. In the two and a half months since, I’ve put close to 3,000 rounds through it (2,882 as I write this). My purpose for buying and shooting this was two-fold.. One was to see if the US made GLOCK was just as good as the Austrian guns; and also to see if my performance with a 17 was better/worse/the same as with my GLOCK 34. The 17 I have happens to be #32 off of the assembly line in Smyrna. It has the newer finish but is identical to any other 3rd generation GLOCK 17 out there. As of now, the US made guns are for export only.

After purchasing the pistol, I installed a set of my favorite Warren Tactical Sights (front tritium, plain rear), a factory minus connector and an extended magazine release. I skipped on my normal extended slide release as I also decided to try running the gun without it, deciding if it was a detriment I’d put the extended piece on. In addition, I put on a little bit of grip tape on the side panels as I have found I like the rough texture for additional grip in rain/snow/sweaty conditions.

In the short time I’ve been running the pistol, I have found that I am really digging on the 17. While I have had 17s in the past, they’ve all ended up as trading fodder as I have preferred the 34 for range use and a 19 for carry. By forcing myself to use just the 17, my performance in numbers has so far matched that of the 34 on skill drills and the IDPA Classifier. I believe that this is due to everything being identical to the 34, except for a slightly shorter barrel and sight radius. On reloads, I haven't noticed a difference between the extended or regular slide release. My times have been identical. The only area I haven’t had a chance to test the gun is in long range handgun shooting (50-100+ yds). My current schedule for the pistol involves a weekly bowling pin match, some practice sessions and an occaisional IDPA match. This summer I plan to shoot some more IDPA and USPSA matches with the gun. It has been through a Todd Green Aim Fast Hit Fast class and I plan to take a few other classes this year with it as well.

I like the capacity of the gun, it’s dead nuts reliability and the accuracy is exceptional with my carry ammo. Thus far, I have not cleaned or even lubricated the pistol since initial cleaning and lubrication. I use Slip 2000 EWL 30, which I believe is partially why the gun still has some lube on it. The ammunition has primarily consisted of my own reloads of a Black Bullet International 130gr FP over some Solo 1000. I’ve also shot a few other loads and my favorite carry load, the 127 +P+ Winchester Ranger ammo.

For anyone interested in an all-around gun, I’ve always recommended the GLOCK 19. If you don’t mind a slightly bigger gun, also check out the 17. I like the slightly larger grip due to my experience with the GLOCK 34, but the 17 isn’t as long so it is far easier to carry. Having 17+1 on hand plus a 19rd reload or two is a nice thing to have for any possible encounter you may have. As I mentioned, the gun has yet to bobble in almost 3,000rds of shooting without a cleaning. Since the first three qualities in a defensive pistol should be reliability, a 3rd Generation GLOCK certainly fits the bill.

I’ll post an addition or two as the year progresses, but as far as I’m concerned GLOCK has another winner if these guns make it to market.

Pics below

Last edited:
Nice review. I spent a good bit of time training with my 4G17 this past weekend and as I suspected, it made a great tool for the job. I carry a 4G19.

www.hunt101.com_data_500_DSC_00196.JPG

[Broken External Image]:
www.hunt101.com_data_500_DSC_00272.JPG

www.hunt101.com_data_500_DSC_00307.JPG

I'm confused about the export only as of now for this glock, on most of them they are built in austria and assembled in georgia correct? but this one was what now? and it was number #34? thats awesome!

Great review and remarkable gun... I picked up my g4 17 and put about 150 rounds through it today, 3 different kinds of hollow points, etc. It was smoking by the end of my shoot (gssf practice) but it never failed in any fashion. I just picked up a 23 today to be my carry gun (selling my 27) but the 17 is amazing to shoot. My groups were not as nice as I get with my 34 but I suspect that is the shooter and not the gun ;)

Back
Top Bottom