• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to make 300 Black Out Brass

Thread revival due to me getting my upper complete and so now i need to feed it. I have plenty of .223 brass to spare

Here's an variation on the cut down using the cut off saw from Harbor Freight.

1. Cut down brass, 2. run up sizing die, 3. trim to length, wallah, brass is ready to load.

thoughts and suggestions welcome...

The older reloading manuals gave a good tutorial on annealing that would likely improve the life of your fine effort!
As I recall, it involved standing the cases in water with the neck only exposed. Then "toasting" them with a torch.
The cases were then tipped-over for the rapid quenching called for in the annealing process.

Case Annealing 101
For my “Dillion-Dollar” friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yec8Yy3fEdg&feature=fvwrel
For the rest of us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgD5D0Wzu-c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVeRDAsrCfM&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a fellow on Ebay that has a jig that goes on the HF saw.

really slick little setup.. it indexes off the case rim and you can get Very close to the finish size using his die. faster than the stock clamp on the saw once you get it setup. you just push one case in after another.

I am using 223 brass that I have plenty of. To reform the brass its pretty simple. First I tumble the brass to clean it up. Then I run the 223 brass through the 300 BLK resizing die without the deprime rod.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_186135be.jpg

Then I cut the brass to the length, which is 1.368. You can do this several ways. I was going to get the Dillon tool but that is about $200 plus another $50 for the rest of the parts. I did not want to use my hand crank brass trimmer so I went high tech. Northern Mini Cut Off Saw. Gotta be the best $25 I have spent lately.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_45b9bb61.jpg

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_72f19673.jpg

Then I run the brass through the 300 BLK die one more time. But this time I put the deprime rod back in so it sizes the neck. This cleans up the edges some. If you wish you can chamfer the edges at this time. Then into the tumbler to make them look pretty... and to further smooth the cut edges.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_b6898317.jpg
I am using 223 brass that I have plenty of. To reform the brass its pretty simple. First I tumble the brass to clean it up. Then I run the 223 brass through the 300 BLK resizing die without the deprime rod.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_186135be.jpg

Then I cut the brass to the length, which is 1.368. You can do this several ways. I was going to get the Dillon tool but that is about $200 plus another $50 for the rest of the parts. I did not want to use my hand crank brass trimmer so I went high tech. Northern Mini Cut Off Saw. Gotta be the best $25 I have spent lately.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_45b9bb61.jpg

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_72f19673.jpg

Then I run the brass through the 300 BLK die one more time. But this time I put the deprime rod back in so it sizes the neck. This cleans up the edges some. If you wish you can chamfer the edges at this time. Then into the tumbler to make them look pretty... and to further smooth the cut edges.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_b6898317.jpg
How are you guaging the brass in the saw? I just got one of the saws and I'm ready to load.

Back
Top Bottom