• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is AR-15 and AR-10 buffer assembly the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
I have a DPMS LR-308 that I want to replace commercial buffer tube and stock w/ a Magpul CTR milspec buffer and stock? I have read that they are the same between the .223 and the .308 and I have read that they are different. Will the buffer tube for an AR-15 work w/ the buffer spring and buffer from the .308 or will everything need to be replaced? This is purely for cosmetics (to match my AR-15), but not a necessity, so no big deal either way. What say you?

i think they work either way... i don't know for sure but i have a .308 with an .223 buffer tube and it worked and works fine

I am thinking they're interchangeable because I used an AR10 stock and buffer tube on one of my AR15s last year with no problems. Somebody will come along to confirm soon.

I am thinking they're interchangeable because I used an AR10 stock and buffer tube on one of my AR15s last year with no problems. Somebody will come along to confirm soon.

i think they work either way... i don't know for sure but i have a .308 with an .223 buffer tube and it worked and works fine

This is what I was thinking too. But then I started looking for a stock and buffer tube assembly and found threads claiming that they would not work. I read through a few, but none of them were specific as to the why it wouldn't work (other than carbine vs rifle length issues). I am still new to the whole AR world and honestly have little idea what I am getting into when I try to do something; but that is how we learn...

from what I know , ar-10s are not a common interchangeable platform like are-15s. some might work while others won't.

I've heard they will not interchange with each other.

It looks like (from reading other forums on the subject) that the buffer and stock will work off an AR-15, but (and a big BUT) it needs a different buffer and spring. I know someone has traded these things out; whether out of not knowing better or just experimenting: where are you guys? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom