Lower Materials: Forged vs Billet

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I ordered a few lowers and was asked if I wanted Billet or Forged? I did a quick scan over the net and didn't really seem to find much of a difference outside of Billet looks smoother/nicer. Any experience with this would be helpful.... and appreciated....

someone posted a link awhile ago that said basically forged is stronger, but billet looks nicer. but billett is not as strong as due to the forging process of heating the metal and what not.

ive been torn on this also, i want a lower so i can start my own AR build. i really want a C3 or seekins billet cause i hear nothing but how awesome they are. but on the other hand, i can get a spikes forged for a ton cheaper. and they are still great lowers.

Heck, if the plastic ones work then surely any metal variety should be fine.

I have forged lowers and never had any problems out of them. I'd like to have a billet lower just for the flared mag well and nicer looking lines, but I can't justify the cost for the little difference. Now if I were going to drop a ton of cash, it would be on a Mega matched upper/lower set or a Sun Devil upper/lower set.

someone posted a link awhile ago that said basically forged is stronger, but billet looks nicer. but billett is not as strong as due to the forging process of heating the metal and what not.

ive been torn on this also, i want a lower so i can start my own AR build. i really want a C3 or seekins billet cause i hear nothing but how awesome they are. but on the other hand, i can get a spikes forged for a ton cheaper. and they are still great lowers.

I miss the logic in this argument. (I've heard it too) The companies that I know all heat treat the metal or have some other Uber special way of hardening the lower. I wonder if the person or company that started this produce forged lowers and want everyone to think the billet lowers are just milled out, painted black and sent to market.

I miss the logic in this argument. (I've heard it too) The companies that I know all heat treat the metal or have some other Uber special way of hardening the lower. I wonder if the person or company that started this produce forged lowers and want everyone to think the billet lowers are just milled out, painted black and sent to market.

ya, its just stuff i seen posted around. im no metallurgist by any means lol. but ok, so the billett lowers are still heat treated after milling? is that only the expensive ones? or common practice for all billet recievers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom