• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mainstreet Range & Guns in Lilburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there is a new law in effect as of jan lst you got ripped but thanks for the info , They just lost a bunch of customers . There should be no sales tax on an out of state item .

A little research into the internet tax question turned up this

So the state of Georgia has a law that attempts to require online companies outside Georgia to collect sales tax and remit it to the state. Of course there is an obviousl problem with that law, since those companies are not subject to Georgia law. The Supreme Court in 1992 ruled that sales tax should only be collected when the seller has a physical presence in the state where the purchase was made. So lots of companies, including Bud's, are not collecting that tax.

Closer to the truth: Mainstreet resents the fact that people can buy online, pay shipping and FFL fees, and still come in under his price. So he's raising his FFL fees. Unfortunately for him, people can just use Mr. Pawn or Bass Pro Shop as well as many other options. So all he's really accomplishing is making potential customers mad. Someone should tell him about this thread.

Closer to the truth: Mainstreet resents the fact that people can buy online, pay shipping and FFL fees, and still come in under his price. So he's raising his FFL fees. Unfortunately for him, people can just use Mr. Pawn or Bass Pro Shop as well as many other options. So all he's really accomplishing is making potential customers mad. Someone should tell him about this thread.

What they should do is offer an HONEST transfer fee and then try and sell you ammo, mags and a holster. Maybe even show you where they can come close in price to wat you paid. I personally would pay a few extra $ to support my local shop but I won't stand for being ripped off. A lot of store don't understand this. I would think part of my business would be about cash flow. If I only make a little $ on certain transactions it finances , my expenses for the next newer purchase. Customer's see items moving out of my store, I get a good reputaion, I rotate my inventory. I wonder how many turns they have on their inventory.

Mainstreet resents the fact that people can buy online, pay shipping and FFL fees, and still come in under his price. So he's raising his FFL fees. Unfortunately for him, people can just use Mr. Pawn or Bass Pro Shop as well as many other options. So all he's really accomplishing is making potential customers mad. Someone should tell him about this thread.

^^This

If the added $25 charged was really for "sales tax" it should not go into his pocket but be passed on to the State of Georgia. I bet that does not happen.

Last edited:
My friend knows a guy that works there. I'll shoot him a text and see if he can explain. I'll also direct the guy that works there to this thread.

You could always contact the Dept of Revenue and report a fraud claim if you think this dealer is misappropriating sales tax funds.The State of Georgia doesn't take to kindly to sales tax cheats, venders will go to jail if they cheat on sales tax revenues.

If anything, you can the satisfaction that while you got screwed out of $25, he will have to deal with an audit from the state. No fun.

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/inctax/fraudreport.html

Last edited:
I would think that if a law requiring tax for Internet purchases passed recently, we would've heard about it. This is no small deal. I've ordered online this year already and nothing has changed. I would file a complaint with as many agencies as you can. Forget about the $25, but I would not let the fraud go unnoticed. If there really is a law, they snuck that one in under the radar, but I seriously doubt it.

The bottom line, it was a transfer. If it was a gift shipped to them or something you paid $20K for, it ain't any of their friggin business.

Their only job is to legally transfer it to an eligible owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom