• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Refinish of Yugo SKS M59/66

jloneill17

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
165   0
Reaction score
So I bought this yugo (with all matching #'s) at a good price. Came with black side-folder stock and original furniture. I sanded down the wood with 220grit, stained it, then polyeurathaned it with semi-gloss. I then sanded with 320grit 3 times and poly in between each sanding. My last sanding was some 0000 steel wool and a final coat of poly. This is my first time refinishing a gun stock. I am happy with it. I didn't sand all the way down b/c I wanted to keep some of the minor nicks and scratches in it. I did send the firing pin and bolt off to a smith to have a Murray's SKS firing pin installed. Of course I kept all the original pieces. The firing pin was all I replaced. I bought a Yugoslavian SKS sling for it. Also took sovietak474u's video about paint filling and filled in the grenade launcher sight with white paint. Like I said this is my first time buying a used gun that needed some work. It was fun though. I know the russian sks's are more coveted, but I like the Yugo for the grenade launcher and the bayonet. Hope you guys like it, let me know what you think? If you don't like it, bugger off. LOL. Thanks

Yugo SKS 002.jpgYugo SKS 001.jpgYugo SKS 004.jpgYugo SKS 003.jpgYugo SKS 007.jpgYugo SKS 006.jpgYugo SKS 005.jpgYugo SKS 008.jpgYugo SKS 011.jpgView attachment 38863

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom