1. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Rules / FAQ.

If you wish to become a member and post, you can register here. Registered users also see less ads!
  2. If you are having issues logging in please send us an email through the "Contact Us" link at the bottom right of the site and we'll get it fixed.

3. We now have a Mobile-Friendly Style for the site.

You can find it at the bottom left corner of the site, or click here.

Refinish of Yugo SKS M59/66

Thread in 'Firearms Chat' started by jloneill17, May 18, 2011.

1. jloneill17

jloneill17 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Supporter
    DaveTheMinion Tribute
    So I bought this yugo (with all matching #'s) at a good price. Came with black side-folder stock and original furniture. I sanded down the wood with 220grit, stained it, then polyeurathaned it with semi-gloss. I then sanded with 320grit 3 times and poly in between each sanding. My last sanding was some 0000 steel wool and a final coat of poly. This is my first time refinishing a gun stock. I am happy with it. I didn't sand all the way down b/c I wanted to keep some of the minor nicks and scratches in it. I did send the firing pin and bolt off to a smith to have a Murray's SKS firing pin installed. Of course I kept all the original pieces. The firing pin was all I replaced. I bought a Yugoslavian SKS sling for it. Also took sovietak474u's video about paint filling and filled in the grenade launcher sight with white paint. Like I said this is my first time buying a used gun that needed some work. It was fun though. I know the russian sks's are more coveted, but I like the Yugo for the grenade launcher and the bayonet. Hope you guys like it, let me know what you think? If you don't like it, bugger off. LOL. Thanks

Yugo SKS 002.jpg Yugo SKS 001.jpg Yugo SKS 004.jpg Yugo SKS 003.jpg Yugo SKS 007.jpg Yugo SKS 006.jpg Yugo SKS 005.jpg Yugo SKS 008.jpg Yugo SKS 011.jpg View attachment 38863

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. chosinsteve132

chosinsteve132 ODT Junkie!

Wow, that SKS looks pretty clean!! Good job!

3. jsquared

jsquared The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Supporter
    Looking good man, i like the lettering on the sight a lot.

4. jloneill17

jloneill17 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Supporter
    DaveTheMinion Tribute
    I appreciate it. It's the paint my wife uses to paint the french manicure stuff on her nails. Worked just as good. Couldn't find the paint pens sovietak47 used any where in Alpharetta.

5. pitdog

pitdog ODT Junkie!

Supporter
    good job looks nice