• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shtf property 8 foot fence, 4 foot fence or no fence at all

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
if you had a shtf property where you have awhile worth of rations in it, would you
a) fence off a good portion(half) of property around the buildings you live in and store supplies with a 8 foot fence
b) all the property with a 4 foot fence,
c)no fence at all

I'm talking about a wooden privacy fence or chain link fence with the plastic inserts for privacy

Last edited:
Run you a couple of alternatingly planted rows of these:

View attachment 110367

maybe with a short fence between. They will provide all the privacy you could ask for and do it without advertising your position. In fact, if left alone they will make a large chunk of land simply vanish. And with a short fence sandwiched between 2 rows not even a rabbit is getting thru.

Depends.

If it's just a home and/or storage buildings, I'd go with with either chain link (6 ft high) or heavy duty wire livestock fence matched with heavy 4X6 posts with a top row of barbed wire around the main living area. Both will let you see what's outside your perimeter, and that has it's advantages. It will also allow you to add electrifed components at a later date.

A privacy fence would attract too much atttention. The goal is to hide structures and storage facilities, or at least make them appear to not hold much of value. Any thief who sees a privacy fence contructed around any location is automatically going to think you've got something of value worth stealing.

The fence is just one part of an integral defense system. I believe Rawles has a book out about securing a retreat. Start thinking about barriers, a ditch to impede a vehicle, a gate comm system (can be pretty inexpensive). You can also buy surplus concertina wire to top off a fence and store it away for later use.

Our prior home had a large back yard with gardens, shed, etc. I would routinely hear cars pull over at night, and scraping on the fence as people pulled themselves up top to take a look. Of course, all the security lights would light up the place like a nuclear bomb, but I eventually realized I would not want a fence like that at a secure retreat. I just can't see who's on the otherside or what they are doing.

Last edited:
Land mines. :thumb: or just put up land mine signs. No one wants to walk into a possible mine field.

What Herr Mac said, plus some.

All these SHTF bunkers are great but the thing I saw that MOST tickles my fancy is Hobbittown. Bilbo Baggins had the makings of one heckuva SHTF home. Either dig into a hill or build on top of a flat rise and then cover it over and MAKE a hill out of it. Surround the working property in those Thuja Green Giant evergreens in a couple of rows alternating. Leave a couple of bolt holes with easy access from within but hard to find or even blocked from without. Maybe add a full fledged tunnel out in a third place. I always LOVED the tunnel exit in the tree stump on Hogan's Heroes. Help mother nature along with intentional weed growth on the outside to make it look even less like man made and maintained.

The key, in my opinion is natural dishevelment to enhance concealment, natural camoflauge, multiple layers for added security and deterrence and strong, but not obvious barriers. If you put up a fence a marauder will know someone is protecting something. If people hit a thick tree line they just follow the path of least resistance and go around.

I'd make it look like no one was there! I fence can be climbed over or cut, but if they don't even know your there then that's the best way. Underground all the way !

how a bout a 4 1/2 foot ditch around property, than tree line, then chain 6 foot chain link fence with barb wire om top, then tree line
have a bout 4 small gate exits disquised with fake green brush and two driveway type exits with gates that look like bushes on the outside

Last edited:
how a bout a 4 1/2 foot ditch around property, than tree line, then chain 6 foot chain link fence with barb wire om top, then tree line
have a bout 4 small gate exits disquised with fake green brush and two driveway type exits with gates that look like bushes on the outside
I'd have to bug out to much work lol

Back
Top Bottom