1. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Rules / FAQ.

If you wish to become a member and post, you can register here. Registered users also see less ads!
  2. If you are having issues logging in please send us an email through the "Contact Us" link at the bottom right of the site and we'll get it fixed.

3. We now have a Mobile-Friendly Style for the site.

You can find it at the bottom left corner of the site, or click here.

SOTA Arms Complete Uppers (Review with Pics)

Thread in 'Gun Reviews by Members!' started by meastt, Mar 11, 2012.

1. meastt

meastt ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

So I figured that since I have seen so many posts on here about “budget builds” I would post my experience with a new dealer and Company, “SOTA Arms”.
    SOTA Arms or State Of The Art Arms is based out of Minnesota and currently offers a new line of complete uppers at a VERY reasonable price.

All of the following prices on uppers INCLUDE BCG, CH and SHIPPING (UPS Ground):

5.56/.223 1/9 twist, M4 feed ramps, NOT chrome lined $369.00, or $389.00 Stainless
    300 Blackout 1/8 twist, M4 feed ramps, NOT CL $439.00 Stainless
    7.62x39 1/10 twist, M4 feed ramps, NOT CL $379.00 or $439.00 Stainless
    6.8 SPC 1/11 twist, M4 feed ramps, NOT CL $379.00 or $439.00 Stainless
    All uppers come standard with a Free Float tube but that can be replaced with a quad-rail for an additional $60.00

Now when I spoke with them on the phone I was quoted a “3-5 day order processing timeframe”, it actually turned into a 2 week time frame. When I called I was told that they got slammed at a gun show and that it was coming, and it did.

I received my upper ready to go out of the box; the fit was perfect on my C3 Defense Lower, with no gaps to be seen. The flat top rails took all of my optics on hand with no hang ups.
    I was out on my property the next morning (shocking huh) to shoot this baby. I loaded up ONLY TULA 62gr .223. I had read that the TULA ammo may not feed well but the SOTA Arms upper ate it like candy, in 300 rounds, I had 1 double feed, but I use my magwell and mag for a grip so that may have contributed. At 50 yards once I walked on a cheapo optic, I was dialed in and was hitting a quarter sized groups with an open reflex sight.

When it’s all said and done, I couldn’t be happier, it was a very good price and it’s performing as it should. I just wanted to put out some info for any other guys looking to buy.
    AR1.jpg
    AR2.jpg AR3.JPG AR4.JPG AR5.JPG

2. Hayata

Hayata The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    56   0   0

Nice review. I like budget builds. Sounds like she shoots well. Do you have any other ARs to compare the accuracy to? Quarter size groups sounds good to me. I need a couple of dollar bills taped end-to-end to cover my Tantal groups... :)

$369 delivered huh? Just what my credit card needed...

Was she a PIA to clean with the Wolf ammo? I just ordered some but did read that it was dirty.

3. meastt

meastt ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

The ammo didnt make it a whole bunchg dirtier than nicer ammo would have....I clean after every range trip anyway.

My buddy has a Armalite AR and a DMPS as well....we shot all three. Id say the only difference I noticed was that the Armalite trigger felt much crisper, other than that, we put lead on paper (and logs, cans, and anything else we saw that day).

4. timbgtm

timbgtm The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

NRA Contributor
    Been looing for budget upper.thanks

5. Lumberman

Lumberman Survivalist

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

Dang this review. I was hoping it would not be so positive. Just cost me $439, I ordered the 300 BLK upper.

6. snipertime

snipertime Frontiersman

Supporter

Rating - 99.3%
    155   1   0

I bought one too should be here thursday

7. 77REBELBOWTIE

77REBELBOWTIE ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Thanks for the intell. Ill be checking them out. I have a few to build.

8. Lumberman

Lumberman Survivalist

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

My 300 Blk upper is out for delivery today also. Ordered 3/16, so just letting everyone know to be patient. I believe it will be worth the wait.

9. NWSharpshooter

NWSharpshooter The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    367   0   0

Looks like your front sight is on backwards. You might want you reconsider using plastic sights on the gas block as well. That is unless you only fire 1 round every couple of minutes.

10. meastt

meastt ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

Those are not on my rifle anymore....I learned the hard way on that day at the range....I tried them forwards and backwards and in the end decided against them, I now have a ACOG clone.