• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

“interchangeable” and "Very Close" Calibers In Manual Guns

skidmarc

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
31   0
Reaction score
I have been looking around at some of the “interchangeable” rounds, according to the gun ads anyway, like the 7.62/.308 right through the .357 magnum/.38. I know that bullets that are very close are not always interchangeable especially in semi autos but can they be used in manual guns - bolt, pump, etc? If so what calibers can be used this way without messing up the gun or the shooter? I can never find any hard facts on the subject only internet forums some better than others. Is there anything out there that someone can point me to that has more proof than someone’s good word?

You might want to reconsider your use of the word "interchangeable". You can shoot a .38 Special in a gun chambered for .357 Magnum; but you cannot shoot a .357 Magnum in a gun chambered for .38 Special. To say that the rounds are interchangeable is a misnomer. The same is true for .44 Special and .44 Magnum ammo.

Sorry, I cannot point to a single source that gives you all the info you seek.

In to see if I can shoot modern ammo in my ishapore 2a 7.62

I have blown threw tons of modern 7.62 nato ammo in my ishapore. You are not supposed to to shoot any 308 in them.

But to the op.

You could shoot 380 threw a 9mm if you so desire but not the other way a round.
40cal threw a 10mm
I know a dude that ran a mag of 9mm mak threw a g17 he said they all worked and ejected.

There are plenty of others but you will never find a credible source to read on it because anyone with any credibility will tell you to shoot what you firearm was designed to shoot.

I have been looking around at some of the “interchangeable” rounds, according to the gun ads anyway, like the 7.62/.308 right through the .357 magnum/.38. I know that bullets that are very close are not always interchangeable especially in semi autos but can they be used in manual guns - bolt, pump, etc? If so what calibers can be used this way without messing up the gun or the shooter? I can never find any hard facts on the subject only internet forums some better than others. Is there anything out there that someone can point me to that has more proof than someone’s good word?

Why?

You can run 223 in a 556. Not the other way.
You can run 762 in a 308. Not the other way around
38 in 357. Not the other way around.
Same with 30.06 springer and 30-06
So on and so forth. Unless you know the pressure of the cartridges you are running, it is best to stick to the caliber marked on the barrel. Don't make it difficult. "You'll shoot your eye out" could be an understatement.

^This. There are guns that can fire "other" cartridges, but you are in the murky, potentially dangerous area similar to custom powder loads. You have to know what you are doing. OP probably does not.

I have blown threw tons of modern 7.62 nato ammo in my ishapore. You are not supposed to to shoot any 308 in them.

But to the op.

You could shoot 380 threw a 9mm if you so desire but not the other way a round.
40cal threw a 10mm
I know a dude that ran a mag of 9mm mak threw a g17 he said they all worked and ejected.

There are plenty of others but you will never find a credible source to read on it because anyone with any credibility will tell you to shoot what you firearm was designed to shoot.
The 380 in 9mm and 40 in 10mm are not really the best idea. Yes it might work but the cases are not the same size and it could cause issues. Just because the bullet is the same diameter doesn't mean it's a good idea so I wouldn't tell people that it should be done.

Chamber and throat lead fouling/corrosion and ejector wear/breakage being the main ones.

It is true that a simple single shot weapon is more tolerant. or at least the problem of getting a mechanism to properly feed a dissimilar cartridge is eliminated. But you still wouln't want to try to fire a .45 LC in a light .410 shotgun even if it fits in the chamber.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v724_melvin54_GunExplosion.jpg

^This. There are guns that can fire "other" cartridges, but you are in the murky, potentially dangerous area similar to custom powder loads. You have to know what you are doing. OP probably does not.

Also got to ignore what people tell you. Had some guy at the flea market kept trying to sell me "7.62x25 Ruskie Ammer" when I asked for 7.63x25 (Mauser Broomhandle). His response? Oh, that'll work no problems, someone told me once it work just fine.

No, not really. Might work a few times but not wanting to risk screwing up a ~100 year-old gun because someone told you something through the Bud vine.

.44 Special & .44 Magnum come in mind too. I have a Charter Arms in .44 Special and it is not safe to shoot the magnum round in it. The frame isn't made for the extra power.

Back
Top Bottom