• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

“interchangeable” and "Very Close" Calibers In Manual Guns

The 380 in 9mm and 40 in 10mm are not really the best idea. Yes it might work but the cases are not the same size and it could cause issues. Just because the bullet is the same diameter doesn't mean it's a good idea so I wouldn't tell people that it should be done.

Never said it should just said its possible.

I had maybe 4 or 5 rounds of FMJ 380 left over when I sold my Bersa. So I ran them through my 9x18 Makarov. But it won't work the other way around,

I also have an old RG snub in 32 Smith & Wesson Long which is kinda pricey and not found just anywhere. I know I've shot half a box of 32 ACP out of it.

SkidMarc, you'll have to ask this question about each particular cartridge or pair of cartridges that you are considering.
The number of cartridges that will work without any malfunctions or safety issues in guns chambered for another caliber is a short list.
If you are willing to risk damage to the gun, or harm to yourself, and you are willing to put up with jams, poor accuracy, and other performance issues, then there are a much larger number of gun-cartridge combinations that you could probably get to function, but it is not recommended.

As one area of study, check out the internet for info on these family of cartridges that have the same approximate sizes and "look" alike to the human eye:

9mm Largo; 9mm Berggmann-Bayard, 9mm Steyr, .38 ACP Rimless, and .38 Super

Also consider:
.43 Spanish / 11mm Spanish Mauser

And

.22LR / .22 WRF / .22 WMR (magnum)

When it comes to modern semi-auto handgun calibers, there are no "different cartridges" that are truly interchangeable that I know of.
What we sometimes see is one "caliber" or "cartridge" that is known by more than one name.
For example, the .357 Sig round is called ".357 auto" by Glock, because Glock will not put another company's name on the side of their pistols, thus denying credit to that other company for developing the load.
The famous "9mm" that we all talk about here is better known as the 9 x 19mm, or the 9mm Parabellum, but it could be called 9mm NATO (if it meets NATO specs), or 9mm Luger (the P-08 Luger was the first popular handgun to use it).

For revolver calibers, where the cartridges tend to be straight walled (same diameter at the bullet end as at the base end, but not counting the rim), and where there is a rim to stop the case from sliding too deep into an extra long chamber, you can have multiple cartridges all working in the same long chamber.

EXAMPLES: .454 Casull - .45 Colt
.357 Maximum, .357 Magnum, .38 special, .38 Long Colt
.327 Fed. Magnum - .32 H&R Magnum - .32 S&W Long.

Yeah but you never know when its finally going to let go. @ 5:12 you can see where it looks like part of the chamber has broken above the ejector well. I think there is another part of this video where they finally did blow it up after spiking the muzzle.

Also looking at the thickness of the breech it looks like it might be something like a .45/70 that the mfg. didn't bother rifling to make a shotgun. I guarantee that you wouldn't get away with that in a Siaga or a just strong enough gun like this:

www.guns.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_07_the_action_of_the_sing5140727d8fc1846fa7a438023416b33d.jpg

Yeah but you never know when its finally going to let go. @ 5:12 you can see where it looks like part of the chamber has broken above the ejector well. I think there is another part of this video where they finally did blow it up after spiking the muzzle.

Also looking at the thickness of the breech it looks like it might be something like a .45/70 that the mfg. didn't bother rifling to make a shotgun. I guarantee that you wouldn't get away with that in a Siaga or a just strong enough gun like this:

www.guns.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_07_the_action_of_the_sing5140727d8fc1846fa7a438023416b33d.jpg
I never said it was a good idea. I was jus sharing the video and letting darwinism run its course.

And of course there's the .45 Colt that can be shot in a .454 Casull, but not the other way around!
But it's a nice option to take some light .45 Colts to the range to shoot, it's a lot cheaper than shooting .454's at about a buck apiece. When you take it hunting you load the .454's.

Okay let's say I had a wheel gun or Derringer chambered in 22 WMR and I didn't want to use up my expensive Magnum ammo. How hazardous would it be to shoot plain old 22LR through it?

Back
Top Bottom