• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

“interchangeable” and "Very Close" Calibers In Manual Guns

Okay let's say I had a wheel gun or Derringer chambered in 22 WMR and I didn't want to use up my expensive Magnum ammo. How hazardous would it be to shoot plain old 22LR through it?
Slightly different cartridge diameters. Probably shouldn't try it but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us how it works for them

Slightly different cartridge diameters. Probably shouldn't try it but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us how it works for them
I just assumed that being the weekend round it would be okay in a single shot,Derringer or revolver built to shoot the Magnum round. But then again there has to be a reason that Ruger and Heritage put that extra cylinder in the box.

22wmr is a .224 bullet. 22lr is .223 to .225. im sure it can be done but i wouldnt waste time with it. good call.

I"m curious. I have a colt peacemaker with a 22lr and 22 WMR/mag cylinder. I've shot it for years with both calibers and never any issues with either on being particularly inaccurate that you would expect having the 'wrong bore diameter'.

the only similar cartridge that I know of is 280 remington and 7mm Remington Express. Same cartridge with different names.

other than that, just about every example is going to be the same basic cartridge but with different lengths.

38 special/ 357 magnum/ 360DW
44 russian/ 44 colt/ 44 special/ 44 magnum/ 445 Super Mag
45 schofield/ 45 "long" colt / 454 Casull/ 460 S&W
45 Auto/ 460 Rowland/ 45 Win Mag

too many versions of the 9mm it would make your head spin. In most of these calibers you can usually shoot the shorter version within reason but if you do it a lot you'll eventually have issues chambering a full length round because of build up in the cylinder/chamber.

just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. ;)

:wave:

I think I fired thousands of rounds of .22 LR thru a .22 Mag rolling block when I was a kid. Never knew we weren't supposed to. The larger case size on the .22 Mag is to keep people like me from trying to stuff them into a light .22 LR.

Chamber and throat lead fouling/corrosion and ejector wear/breakage being the main ones.

It is true that a simple single shot weapon is more tolerant. or at least the problem of getting a mechanism to properly feed a dissimilar cartridge is eliminated. But you still wouln't want to try to fire a .45 LC in a light .410 shotgun even if it fits in the chamber.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v724_melvin54_GunExplosion.jpg

That was either the wrong ammo or a very large gorilla thought it a banana!

I've fired at least 100 rounds of .22 LR through FIVE different .22 WMR (.22 magnum, technically called Winchester Magnum Rimfire) guns.
1-- High Standard double-action derringer.
2-- Marlin lever action .22 magnum (model 57 maybe? It was a friend's gun, not mine).
3-- NAA mini-revolver .22 mag
4-- NAA Black Widow mini revolver, shooting .22LR through the .22 Mag cylinder (even though I also had a different cylinder just for magnums)
5-- Marlin 882 bolt-action .22 mag rifle.

The .22LR cases bulged, but never separated.
The extraction was iffy on the Marlin lever gun and the HS derringer. Most of the time the empty cases popped out, but not always.
Accuracy seemed pretty good. Not as good as with magnums, but not terrible either. I actually tested the Marlin 882 from the bench with LR's in it, and my groups only opened up by about 33-50%. If the magnums gave me 1" groups at 25 yards, it became 1.5" for long rifles. Plenty of accuracy to perforate a tin can or bag a bunny rabbit for the stewpot.

Some of these guns gave some "blowback" in my face, as the undersized case did not seal the chamber as well as it should have.

I didn't die. But: WARNING AND DISCLAIMER: You will be killed or maimed for life if you try this. Don't. (There, I warned you. If you blow your legs off, don't come running to me!)

Today I shot a few old, corroded-lead high velocity .22LR rounds out of my Marlin bolt action .22 WMR.
Rang a 12” steel gong at 100 yards most of the time.
But then a case split and got stuck in my chamber.
I had to knock it out with a cleaning rod.

Back
Top Bottom