• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

“interchangeable” and "Very Close" Calibers In Manual Guns

:wave:

I think I fired thousands of rounds of .22 LR thru a .22 Mag rolling block when I was a kid. Never knew we weren't supposed to. The larger case size on the .22 Mag is to keep people like me from trying to stuff them into a light .22 LR.

Not quite. A lot of folks think the .22 Mag is based on the .22 LR like the .357 Mag is based on the .38 Special. Not so much. The .22 Mag or as it's properly known, the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire is base on the older and lesser known .22 Winchester Rim Fire, or .22 WRF. The .22 WRF was designed for the Winchester 1890 Pump Action Rifle. It's considered obsolete by today's standards, as there are hot loaded .22 LR's that are pushing a similar weight bullet at higher velocities.

In short, the .22 Mag is no more based on the .22 LR than the .17 HMR.

Okay let's say I had a wheel gun or Derringer chambered in 22 WMR and I didn't want to use up my expensive Magnum ammo. How hazardous would it be to shoot plain old 22LR through it?

not dangerous at all. You are just going to split most if not all cases, and accuracy will suck.

I've done that with a Ruger Single Six. Aggravating, but no safety issue.

I've heard of people accidentally running 308 through mosins. I also saw on the interwebs, think it was iraqivet running 30-30 through a mosin lol.

I have a family member that has shot lots of calibers/different not intended or recommended cartridges(probably as in 3 or 4 ) though a 7mm Mauser lol.

I've heard of people accidentally running 308 through mosins. I also saw on the interwebs, think it was iraqivet running 30-30 through a mosin lol.

I have a family member that has shot lots of calibers/different not intended or recommended cartridges though a 7mm Mauser lol.

Darwin was taking a nap

I have been looking around at some of the “interchangeable” rounds, according to the gun ads anyway, like the 7.62/.308 right through the .357 magnum/.38. I know that bullets that are very close are not always interchangeable especially in semi autos but can they be used in manual guns - bolt, pump, etc? If so what calibers can be used this way without messing up the gun or the shooter? I can never find any hard facts on the subject only internet forums some better than others. Is there anything out there that someone can point me to that has more proof than someone’s good word?[/QUOT

The instruction manual that comes with the firearm list what calibers are safe in said firearm. My srh 454 has that and 45 colt on the cylinder

Back
Top Bottom