• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

“New traders” asking to email them

the_brownieone

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Tracker
23   0
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but what’s up with people pming you about emailing a friend for a firearm/ parts, when they just became a member mins ago.

This has happened twice in the last week. Anyone else getting these?

Yeah, in general, I'd be dubious. There's no reason to avoid using ODT's messaging, at least in the initial stages of a sale.

If someone wants to trade, get on the trading platform.

Maybe it’s just me, but what’s up with people pming you about emailing a friend for a firearm/ parts, when they just became a member mins ago.

This has happened twice in the last week. Anyone else getting these?

It's a thing across most forums. Just hit "Report" on the message; one of us will take a look and deal with it appropriately.

The "my buddy has XXX call him" is an obvious scam.

Some legit new people migrated from Armslist, Tacswap, and other platforms where email is the primary mode of communication. I just PM them or tell them that I prefer to keep it to PMs until we set a meet. Most are good with that. Someone legitimately new vs a scam are pretty easy to spot.

1676384109174.png

Yeah, in general, I'd be dubious. There's no reason to avoid using ODT's messaging, at least in the initial stages of a sale.

If someone wants to trade, get on the trading platform.

The Mods and Admin highly recommend that you keep the entire deal in the ODT PM’s.

Cut and pasted from the Rules & Guidelines:

If a negative rating is challenged then a mod will review the user’s private messages to investigate. In cases involving shipping we will accept tracking information from a major carrier as proof of sending or receiving an item. We will NOT accept texts, emails, voicemails, snapchats, instagram posts, tweets, police body cam footage, etc. as proof of anything. We just don’t have the time or resources to get into anything that isn’t directly verifiable here on the site.

Every day we have to remove negative feedback because the deal was done via text, email, or phone.

Back
Top Bottom