• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

'03 6.0 F250 smoking...

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
Until Monday afternoon, my truck did not smoke. Had no power taking off at a redlight, but ran fine after that. Noticed black smoke on acceleration. Got home and nothing while idling.

Tuesday morning, noticed oil leak. Checked oil after work and a little low. Drove it to parts store to get oil. No acceleration at all. Wouldn't get out of it's on way. Called rollback and had it towed to mechanic.

Oil leak fixed. Oil leaking on a sensor causing it to show negative voltage. This is what was causing the lack of power.

I do have a CEL throwing for the EGR valve and ICP. Can't track down the guy that did my bullet proofing to reset and all other mechanics tell me they have to have his software.

Anyway, seems to be running okay, but smoking like crazy. Could it be the CEL causing it to run too rich? Turbo getting ready to take a crap?

No need for 6.0 suck or time to sell it comments. She's paid for and I can't afford a new truck. A couple hundred dollars every now and then is still better than a new truck payment!!

KEM in Montecello is THE shop in Ga for powerjokes.

Could be many, many things causing your problem, all very expensive to "try and see if this fixes it".

It is worth the ride or tow if you can get an appointment.

We run several of those engines, and do 99% of all our wrench pulling, but problem 6.0s all go to those guys. Have had them solve problems for us for several years now.

I don't think so. Now that the oil leak is fixed, it runs on out okay. Just smoking.

With the proper scanner and software, you can tell exactly how much fuel each injector is using, and which cylinder is stronger than others. The computer can make up for a weak cylinder/injector by overfueling the other cylinders to maintain output...to a point.

These are complicated beasts, not your daddy's diesel.

I am not a diesel mechanic.
I think that the CEL would most likely be the first thing I would troubleshoot.

What is the cost of a complete new tune?

I am not a diesel mechanic.
I think that the CEL would most likely be the first thing I would troubleshoot.

What is the cost of a complete new tune?

Surprisingly, the CEL is staying off this time. I have had it reset 8-10 times and it would come back on the next morning, but it has been off since Thursday this time. I also found out that I can use my tuner to turn the EGR "off", so I am going to try that if it comes back on.

White smoke or black smoke?

Have you checked all of the piping and clamps between the turbo and the intake? You could be losing boost somewhere. That would cause a lack of power and black smoke.

Back
Top Bottom