• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1 handgun, 1 long gun......what do you want in a long term emergency?

since this site "suggested" this thread to me, I suppose I'll revive it and post in it, as old as it may be.

Of the guns I happen to own, I'd pick the M1A rifle in .308 as a dual-purpose deer hunting gun and the "big firepower" defensive weapon. The handgun would be my Springfield XD9- 5" which is small enough to carry, even concealed, but is a respectable weapon in its own right, good out to 50 yards or so.

This is assuming that I'll be "bugging in" and only leaving my property for, at most, a few hours at a time to hunt, trade, explore, etc.

If I'm going to have to hike / backpack for many days and hundreds of miles, scratch the 10-lb. .308 rifle.
I'd like to substitute a pencil-barreled AR carbine or rifle. Probably with a red dot non-magnifying sight (they're much lighter than a traditional scope). I'd want this AR to weigh about 6 lbs empty, and I'd only have maybe 3 mags with me: a 20-rounder in the gun, and two 30-round mags carried elsewhere.

1911 10MM=PROTECTION/FOOD SHOVEL/AXE/KNIFE COMBO,SALT TO CURE MEAT, MY SMOKER, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO SUN GLASSES
BOLT GUN 325WSM LONG RANGE PROTECTION FROM ELEVATED POSTION-ESTABLISH PERIMETER/FOOD AMMO, AMMO ,AMMO ,SUN GLASSES OH ALMOST FORGOT "SHAKE AND BAKE"

1911 10MM=PROTECTION/FOOD SHOVEL/AXE/KNIFE COMBO,SALT TO CURE MEAT, MY SMOKER, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO SUN GLASSES
BOLT GUN 325WSM LONG RANGE PROTECTION/FOOD AMMO, AMMO ,AMMO ,SUN GLASSES OH ALSO MOST FORGOT "SHAKE AND BAKE"
Why a low capacity 1911 vs a high cap?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Smooth and accurate as hell and have plenty of mags with correct ammo will penetrate layers of clothing and still prove effective when using correct weapon, sights. Lots of rounds fired will give away your position and you will have to move to have advantage. Confidence and a cool head. As a kid we use to get 5-6 22lr rounds and a single shot rem target master and was told to bring the unused ammo back with squirrels killed. Makes you consider every shot for a reason and conserve . One shot per intruder provides lethal results. Also have plenty of arrows for more stealthy daytime deterrent. shoot reload, build more arrows, sharpen broad heads. Once shot a deer at 52 yards with old school bow and the arrow traveled thru the skull out the eye ball not damaging the arrow or broad head.(luck shot ) but testimony to sharp tips and heavy arrows from a hunter raising a family that could not afford the new innovative stuff.

Back
Top Bottom