• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1-Year Grid Down Prep

I don’t . Have a radio and need an antenna to listen. If it maintains my interest, I would go and get the license and
If you read the ARRL handbook it'll tell you how to use speaker wire and how long to cut it for what ever freq range you are wanting to listen to and then all you need is a couple of insulators, a balum and some coax. Hang that center fed dipole from a couple of trees, run the coax into your radio. Make sure you have a good ground and take down the antenna when the weather gets bad, and then start listening.

If you're a ham guy, you already know about antennas.....:0)
And if you don't know about antennas, get the ARRL handbook from your local library and read up on center fed dipole antennas. Simple to make with hand tools and a soldering iron. My first rig, back in 1984 I had a 40 meter dipole set up and was working the world. Later invested in a TH3-Jr. triband yagi and went nuts on 10, 15 and 20 meters and even won a world wide SSB contest award from Crete in 1985, beating out all the other hams on Crete. At the time there were 5, I was the only one willing to stay up all night long to call CQ Contest, CQ Contest DE KA2PFV/SV9), and made contact with over 850 other hams through out the world during that weekend.

Back
Top Bottom