• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1-Year Grid Down Prep

8 drops to a gallon of water
75,708 drops in a gallon
75,708/8 = 9,463 gallons of safe water with 1 gallon clorox

Twice as much for cloudy water. 4,700 gallons.
Sounds like the way to go. a couple gallons of bleach 19,000 gallons of safe water....
Gonna put it on the shopping list....

How much would something like that cost?
I think we paid about $1600 about 10 years ago. We installed it ourselves as it is pretty easy to do. It all depends on whether you need a deep well pump or shallow well pump. Well depth and static water levels determine what you need. We did not have to go too deep as our static water level was about 38 ft so we went down to 50 ft.

https://www.bisonpumps.com/

I think "Simple Pumps" are just as good and cheaper.
https://simplepump.com/

8 drops to a gallon of water
75,708 drops in a gallon
75,708/8 = 9,463 gallons of safe water with 1 gallon clorox

Twice as much for cloudy water. 4,700 gallons.
Sounds like the way to go. a couple gallons of bleach 19,000 gallons of safe water....
Gonna put it on the shopping list....
You can drink pure clean water, with no bleach, no matter how bad the contamination is, by running it through a Berkey counter top filter.
https://www.berkeyfilters.com/

By far the largest cost of a solar gen system is the cost of the batteries. A Battle Born 100 Amp-Hrs, LiFePO4, deep charge battery cost about $900. So for that price you get 1200 Watt-Hrs of energy. So if you had an average need for 150 watts - that's less than 1.5 amps at 115 volts, you would use about 3600 watt-hrs per day. So you are looking at 3 batteries. If you want to have enough capacity to get you through 3 days of rainy overcast weather with no solar charging available, you need to triple that to 9 batteries. So you are looking at over $8000, just for the batteries, for a very small electrical load.

Yes I know you can get cheaper batteries. But this makes the point.

Another approach to supplying electricity, for 1-year, is the use of a top notch generator powered by propane. I am talking about Generac or Kohler mounted on a slab generator. You can get a new on 14,000 watts for under $5000. For a year's worth of fuel, you would need maybe ten 500-gallon tanks filled at 400 gallons per tank. This would be enough fuel if your average load was about 1000 watts. The propane would cost about $2.20 per gallon or about $8,800. I guess you could rent the tanks or buy them.

Does Propane Expire?
First up comes one of our most important questions: Will your stored fuel expire? And we’re glad to say NO, it will not! Unlike fuel sources that can degrade over time (kerosene, diesel, gasoline), propane fuel has no expiration date, nor will its potency suffer while being stored. The only thing you need to worry about when storing propane is maintaining the health and integrity of the propane storage tank.

One big drawback of a generator powered by an internal combustion engine, during a grid-down event, is the loud sound.

I imagine the sound would be quite the draw.
Also having propane close by I'm guessing a gun shot to it could create a bomb. In a SHTF situation it would be good to sand bag around it.

I am in the proses of making a biogas digester. Already have solar and well with mechanical pump (if solar fails). I can live almost indefinitely on my land already. You guys are WAY behind.

Back
Top Bottom