• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/22 failure to eject

FamDoc2892

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
235   0
Reaction score
Got a question for the group. Using my Ruger 10/22 for the third Appleseed event in as many years, and, once again, it started jamming as it failed to eject the spent shells. Tried running a Bore Snake through it a couple of times and lubing the action, tried switching from Federal bulk copper-wash to some borrowed American Eagle copper-wash, no change. Tried a few shots with Blazer lead-nose but not enough to tell...

Background is this: I'm not a huge fan of cleaning 22s, use Bore Snake occasionally but couldn't promise I've had this one taken apart recently, just the steps above. Bought new factory 10-rd mags just for this event. This is a high-round-count event, 400-500 rounds in a weekend, and performance is measured in a timed Army Qualification Test analogue. This is the third event in which mechanical problems have cost me my best performance, and I'm fed up; ready to replace the rifle...

Any suggestions? Problem with action vs. problem with ammo choice?

Get a set of these...

350-4c.jpg

And dig out all that junk in the notched area here:
IMGP0107.JPG

And clean underneath the extractor and the face of the bolt, too.

In for answers. My fathers 10/22 has the same problem - failure to eject - and also some failure to feed the first round - screwed up his appleseed. I cleaned his gun inside and out - 100% and it made no difference day two. 4 different mags, everything from federal bulk to CCI minimags - all issues.

lol CLEAN IT. Take it apart, clean the the bolt, extractor, chamber, little notch in the barrel where the extractor goes. If you really don't want to clean it you can sell it to me for $50 and buy you another one. You also need to clean your mags if they are dirty. Dirty mags can be just as frustrating as a dirty rifle on the 10/22.

You need to use a good, old fashion bore brush and cleaning rod. Scrub the chamber area well with nitro solvent, then breakfree. When done, degrease the chamber with brake cleaner or similar.

The 10/22 needs a straight line cleaning port from the rear, there are aftermarket receivers that already have this feature.

Sounds like some things I can use/do. Note to Moondog1 Moondog1 , can't argue with your claim that dirty mags can cause problems, but these were factory new Ruger mags, never used before this event. Leads me back to extractor/bolt/chamber problems.

Sounds like some things I can use/do. Note to Moondog1 Moondog1 , can't argue with your claim that dirty mags can cause problems, but these were factory new Ruger mags, never used before this event. Leads me back to extractor/bolt/chamber problems.
The volquartsen extractor (might be some other ones too) can help them run a little better when they are nasty too. Pretty cheap and easy to swap.

just realized I was suggesting the same extractor yall mentioned in other posts...

Back
Top Bottom