• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10.5" AR Issues?

Get_Training

Default rank <1000 posts
Memento Mori
97   0
Reaction score
So I took advantage of PSA running one of their 10.5" uppers on sale and picked one up. Now that I've ordered it, I'm looking for some ballistics and have read some people have problems getting the 10.5" guns to run reliably. Anybody had this issue? How can I make it more reliable or should I just return it and invest in another 16"? Anybody got ideas or suggestions?

I'm an expert by no means, but ive always been told that 10.5 is as short as you want to go with a 556 upper. That's the shortest length you can keep a carbine length gas system. I'm planning on picking one up from them when I have some spare change.

I'd try to run it and send it back if it doesn't work.

If it's put together right and the gas port is the right size it should be fine. Lots of companies have been making 10.5 and 10.3 inch barrels that run (Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense).
I think ammo selection is something you want to research, long range shots can be made with SBR's but I doubt I could do it, so fragmentation under 50 yards is something I would look for.
Also, running a suppressor may mean you have to play with different ammo to get the reliability you need.

I bought one, too. Runs fine with commercial 55 gr. ball. Have not tried any other ammo. I'm quite satisfied. Put some light sights on there. My RDS is heavy, and it really sort of defeats the purpose.

10.5" is the shortest you dare go to get any real performance out of .223. Below that... might as well shoot something else. You're mainly just making a fireball.

I put together a 10.5" pistol and initially had problems with cycling. Finally determined the gas key on my AIM Surplus BCG wasn't tight and properly staked. Once I took care of that, she runs like a top. I've only fed it steel cased ammo. Runs perfectly.

My 10.5 sbr runs great with and with out a can, just a little more gas blowback with the can.
I enjoy it alot more than a 16" upper.It is a lot quicker and more pointable especially when hunting.
As for ammo my 1/7 shoots 55grn factory and 75grn reloads equally well,I will say the 55grn sp does better on yotes.

My 10.5 sbr runs great with and with out a can, just a little more gas blowback with the can.
I enjoy it alot more than a 16" upper.It is a lot quicker and more pointable especially when hunting.
As for ammo my 1/7 shoots 55grn factory and 75grn reloads equally well,I will say the 55grn sp does better on yotes.

Same here. Mine also seems to like the ss109 62gr. I would suggest a flash can on the 10.5 barrels. It cuts down on the percussion at the gun, much better than a A2 style.

Back
Top Bottom