• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

100 yard shooting tube?

They don't look big enough to shoot through comfortably. I guess I need to see it done though. I have wondered why more ranges don't do something similar though, but I was thinking more like a 8' pipe. Something that you could walk through.

Something tells me that a couple of Georgia rednecks and an underground shooting range are occasionally going to be a bad mix. "Hey Cletus, I bet I can skip a 30-30 round off the walls 11 times before it reaches the end - hold your phone over my shoulder and record the sparks!

Yeah, I'm guessing automatic scoring like CMP?

View attachment 1084075
C'mon Soapy, let's get that group where it should be! LOL!

Good shootin' Brother!

IMG_20170303_084258_01.jpg

Not many variables when shooting outdoors at 100yds with a high powered rifle. You'd have to shoot in a class 4 hurricane for the wind to drift the bullet. Same for differences in temperature, humidity, etc. The bullet just isn't in the air long enough to be effected.

I'm all for their indoor range with shooting tube. Anything that helps folks get more time on their long guns is good stuff.
I guess it depends on how you define 'effect'. I promise you it has an effect on 6HLS in the benchrest matches I've entered. :frusty:
But then again, 1/4" is a big deal in those.

The automatic scoring thing is a possibility, so the shooter gets feedback electronically via a camera and computer monitor.

But, it's also possible to do this low-tech and just use a bigger pipe and run a trolley along the top of it to carry your target down to the end and back.

That probably wouldn't work at a public range, though. All those idiots would shoot the rail or cable holding the target carrier. At a members-only club it might work.

ANOTHER IDEA: Have a "pit area" room down at the backstop end of the tubes.
After the rifle shooters have shot up their targets, call a cease-fire, stretch a safety curtain saying "NO SHOOTING- PITS ARE OCCUPIED" across the firing end of the tubes, then the shooters climb a ladder or some stairs, go outside, walk to the other end of the tube, climb down into the pit room, change their targets, and then walk back to the firing side.

Nah, that wouldn't work on a public range either. Some idiots would come directly from the clubhouse, past the firing line room, open the door to the pit room, and jump in, while other shooters are sending bullets through those tubes.

I think there's a few misconceptions here. I've seen a similar setup used before. Your body isn't actually in the tube. There is a shooting bench at one end and the muzzle is in the tube while you sit at the bench. With you outside the tube and the muzzle inside, the sound isn't that bad because it's mostly directed forward.

I think there's a few misconceptions here. I've seen a similar setup used before. Your body isn't actually in the tube. There is a shooting bench at one end and the muzzle is in the tube while you sit at the bench. With you outside the tube and the muzzle inside, the sound isn't that bad because it's mostly directed forward.

Yea I wasn't thinking you would be sitting in the tube. I thought that instead of a large open "room" like how the traditional range was it would be more like an indiviual shooting lane that was really a lane from yard 0 to yard 100. Your bench would be right at the opening.

I dont know why a carrier system wouldnt work, just aim lower. Although I dont know if they have any systems that goes 100 yards.

Yea I wasn't thinking you would be sitting in the tube. I thought that instead of a large open "room" like how the traditional range was it would be more like an indiviual shooting lane that was really a lane from yard 0 to yard 100. Your bench would be right at the opening.

I dont know why a carrier system wouldnt work, just aim lower. Although I dont know if they have any systems that goes 100 yards.

If it breaks you'd have to grease up a midget and send 'em down the pipe with some zip ties and pliers.

Back
Top Bottom