• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

100 yard shooting tube?

I think there's a few misconceptions here. I've seen a similar setup used before. Your body isn't actually in the tube. There is a shooting bench at one end and the muzzle is in the tube while you sit at the bench. With you outside the tube and the muzzle inside, the sound isn't that bad because it's mostly directed forward.

Yeah, I assumed each pipe will have its own bench and electronic scoring at the other end. It seemed odd to me until someone pointed out the cost factor - just hadn't thought of this as an alternative to a building over 300 feet long. Plus, this many not even require a building permit, per se. Pretty slick - I'd like to go check it out when it's done.

I'd never heard of shooting through a tube like this before I saw this thread. Of course, I've just always shot outside before and never shot far enough to worry about the wind until recently when me and @FrogHunter started trying to shoot .22lr out to about 275 yards. Just a little bit of cross wind will blow a subsonic .22 WAY off by the time it gets out that far.

I guess I'll have to talk him into building a 300 yard tube in the middle of his hay field. It'll have to have a big arch in it though for lobbing those little bullets into the target!

I'd never heard of shooting through a tube like this before I saw this thread. Of course, I've just always shot outside before and never shot far enough to worry about the wind until recently when me and @FrogHunter started trying to shoot .22lr out to about 275 yards. Just a little bit of cross wind will blow a subsonic .22 WAY off by the time it gets out that far.

I guess I'll have to talk him into building a 300 yard tube in the middle of his hay field. It'll have to have a big arch in it though for lobbing those little bullets into the target!

Reminds me of my first Daisy BB gun. It was a hand-me-down and was so worn out I had to aim high and to the right to compensate for the arc but I killed every can, bottle, and bird I ran across in the god-forsaken woods of San Antonio with it.

You don't have to clean it out, do you?

The targets could be in a little room dug into the ground at the end of the tubes, and you'd access that room from ground level, on the surface, NOT by crawling through a pipe.

As for clearing the tubes of unburned gunpowder, that's something the range could do itself weekly, with some bottle rockets and Roman candles ! Don't let it build up; burn it off weekly.

with
Reminds me of my first Daisy BB gun. It was a hand-me-down and was so worn out I had to aim high and to the right to compensate for the arc but I killed every can, bottle, and bird I ran across in the god-forsaken woods of San Antonio with it.
Hahaha! Yeah, I had a Red Ryder when I was a kid and you had to point the barrel up on about a 45 degree angle to lob a BB at a target about 50 yards away! I got pretty dang good at it though!

But yeah, we've got a 14" steel plate at 275 yards and you have to aim several FEET above it to get a subsonic .22 to hit it. LOL We've got bright orange paint on it and the bullet barely chips any off because it's slowed down so much by the time it gets there.

I was shooting it last weekend my bolt gun. I could fire a round and then quickly eject it and get another in the chamber before you heard the target ring.

Back
Top Bottom