• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10mm recipes

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
230   0
Reaction score
So... bought a g29 on impulse. A gun I have long looked at and just sort of jumped in the other day.i have reloaded sub 9mm for a while now and found a wicked quiet backyard load. I would now like to work up a super effective 200 gr hp defense load in 10mm. I would like to push it 1400 fps but would sooner give up velocity over bullet wieght assuming I could keep it over 180grs and 1300 fps. Out of a 3.77" barrel. What are some smoking loads you guys have?

Sorry can't help ya!
that's waaaay over the weight of my defensive loads, actually way over the weight of even my target loads.
think you may have a difficult time reaching those numbers with the weight that you want to use, at least if you stay within a safe recommended loadings?

A little lighter bullet than your asking about but HANDS DOWN my favorite load for 10mm is a 135gr HP Nosler over 11.7 grains of Blue Dot. I have been loading 10mm forma long time and other than hunting loads this is the one I mainly load up. I feel it is a GREAT HD load and is DEADLY accurate. MY G20's, G29 and Mech-Tech 10mm Carbine love it.

I will check some of my load records to see what I can find for you in the 200gr area.

10 mm has been dumbed down,

Look online for some independent reloading data, OR

(this is what I did when I had a 10mm) use a 10-15 year old loading manual.

If you don't believe me about dumbing down, check the ballistics on brand name ammo -- it's all .40 S&W level, unless you go to some specialty loaders. I scored some Norma that that was a rip roaring load.

Out of a sub-compact (3.77" barrel) I don't think you can achieve 1,400fps with a 200gr. pill and stay within acceptable pressure levels.

I use Accurate Arms #9 for my heavy 10mm max loads.

In my 6.02" barrel Glock 20L, I push the 180gr. FMJ at 1,300fps+/- and using AA #5 with 135gr. JHP clock 1,500fps+

This older data for Accurate Arms 2.1

upload_2017-1-30_21-32-6.png

upload_2017-1-30_21-31-17.png

Here is some more online data that I have looked over. http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/d...&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Lead online data, http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?start=1

On the same topic but slightly deviated I have just gotten into loading 10mm and am playing around with it. Does the chamber support variations matter much. I am running a KKM barrel and it seems as though it has a good bit more support than like a standard Glock one. So if I was to work up some hotter loads should they only be fired in the KKM one and not the Glock one or am I just overthinking this?

On the same topic but slightly deviated I have just gotten into loading 10mm and am playing around with it. Does the chamber support variations matter much. I am running a KKM barrel and it seems as though it has a good bit more support than like a standard Glock one. So if I was to work up some hotter loads should they only be fired in the KKM one and not the Glock one or am I just overthinking this?

I would use the KKM Barrel if you plan on reloading the brass. The OEM Barrel offers decent support to be safe but younwill still get more bulge at base of brass than you would with that KKM.

yea, a 3 1/2 inch barrel can not really utilize the powder that you need to push a heavy projectile at the speeds that was mentioned.
I use a 150 grain Nosler JHP for self defense rounds and get about 1400-1450 out my 10 MM, ( a 5 inch and a 4.5 incher) using Accurate #5 or HS-6.
honestly though as long as you get the performance that you want from a jhp projectile and its moving fast enough the bad guy can't dodge it why push to unsafe possible pressures??
both of my 10's have fully supported barrels and for safety and brass life that does make a difference.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/store.html

My thoughts:

Powder: 800X, Unique, W231 or any other powder. They all work for Self Defense loads.

Any jacketed HP bullet that is designed for the purpose will likely work in a Glock barrel. If you get a conventionally rifled after market barrel, check out some lead bullets from the link above. I like this 185 grainer from Precision. They used to sell a 200 that I liked. I think that they are Swagged and soft enough to expand well. I used to load the 200 over 6.0 Unique for general use.

You don't want it flying through the target if you are in SD mode, you don't need over 1000FPS with a 180grain bullet, or 900 with a 200 grain. That is one of the 3 big reasons the 40 has surpassed the mighty 10. The other two being grip size and efficiency. Of course, the 135 grain HP will shoot flatter and expand better, but muzzle flash and noise is greater--who needs flat shooting up close and personal, as almost all SD situations are likely to be.

Back
Top Bottom