• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10mm??? Who needs it when you have .40

zombienation

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   1
Reaction score
Well today I got a wild hair and decided to do something. Worked up a safe load with longshot and the 180 lee tc mold. End result out of a glock 23 with a factory glock barrel getting 1197fps. I am happy with that. If anyone wants to try it out pm me for the oal and charge weight

I have logged 10's of thousands of rounds of g34, and 35 cast on glock barrels. It's all about cleaning, slugging the bore, and inspecting every few hundred rounds. It is not recommended by glock because lead buildup leads to higher pressures and kaplow...

I have logged 10's of thousands of rounds of g34, and 35 cast on glock barrels. It's all about cleaning, slugging the bore, and inspecting every few hundred rounds. It is not recommended by glock because lead buildup leads to higher pressures and kaplow...

I have heard this from other folks who compete and shoot a lot. Factory HK (polygonal rifling) at one time recommended to clean after 250 rounds if shooting lead cast.

Back in the bad old days the lead cast bullet hardness level varied quite a bit. Those great looking cast bullets discounted at the gun show, when used leaded up so horribly that after a few rounds the bullets would begin to keyhole (tumble). Strips of inches long of lead fouling were removed from our handgun bores.

I suspect if one was shooting these in maxed .40 loads through an older factory barrel Glock .40 (less case head support) it would not fare well for the shooter.

The .40 S&W is a hot rod from the get go and that's why I really like it. It can be a handful, dependent on weight, gun design and load used. It pushed the design limits during it's introduction for small frames. Glock had to redesign-increase their head case support after more than a few Kabooms. Browning/FN had slide failures and had to redesign their slides. Pushing this round even more .40 S&W +P will incur an added measure of hazards.

Where are you or how are obtaining your load data?

I am in hinesville. My load data always starts 10% under max. Then work up chronographing and reading your cases. The case always tells the tale. The max published load for longshot is 1200fps with a 180gr bullet. The max is way under cip
CIP pressure for the 10mm is 33,000 psi.
CIP pressure for the .40 S&W is 32,633 psi.

SAAMI pressure for the 10mm is 37,500psi.
SAAMI pressure for the .40 S&W is 35,000psi.

factory loaded ammunition is loaded way under what it is safely capable of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom