• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/13 Hunt

Just saw a 3 1/2 yo 7. He is noticeably limping. I want the one that gave him the limp. Wind is swirling but my radial 400b ozone generator seems to help (I hope so because he will be feeding right to me)
Ha! I had a young buck limp by this morning and was thinking the same thing.

31F0B09B-ECBB-4C43-95AF-CF2E7C19C3C1.jpeg

Had these 7 girls come through around 545. Yearlings still with their momma.

Froze my anus off this morning. Saw 2 does very early, and a herd of turkeys. I counted 12. All Jakes. I took a video, but don't know how to post it.

Saw a grey fox this afternoon. He stepped out in the old road bed, sniffed the hocks I laid out from the buck I shot on Saturday, peed on them, then kept moving. No deer in the evening.

Froze my anus off this morning. Saw 2 does very early, and a herd of turkeys. I counted 12. All Jakes. I took a video, but don't know how to post it.

Saw a grey fox this afternoon. He stepped out in the old road bed, sniffed the hocks I laid out from the buck I shot on Saturday, peed on them, then kept moving. No deer in the evening.
Sounds like a good start.
Those jakes will become a bunch of hard gobbling 2 year old birds come next Spring! Seems like you have a target rich environment.

Reactions: MRH
Got out in the blind at 4:30 pm this evening. Had an 8 pointer come in bow range around 6:45. Let the arrow fly and hit him broadside. He ran down the hill towards the creek, away from me, and I was able to follow blood for about 150 yards along the creek, in the dark. Blood trail ended with a puddle with clotting and he vanished. Spent almost two hours after finding the puddle... Might go back tomorrow during the day and look. Sucks as this is my first deer ever harvested.

Got out in the blind at 4:30 pm this evening. Had an 8 pointer come in bow range around 6:45. Let the arrow fly and hit him broadside. He ran down the hill towards the creek, away from me, and I was able to follow blood for about 150 yards along the creek, in the dark. Blood trail ended with a puddle with clotting and he vanished. Spent almost two hours after finding the puddle... Might go back tomorrow during the day and look. Sucks as this is my first deer ever harvested.
Been there.

Spend some serious time looking for him tomorrow. Even if he doesn't die overnight there's a good chance he will be bedded down, weak and half way in shock when you spot him. You will probably be able to get another arrow in him if you're careful.

Go slow and quiet while looking for him and take binoculars. USE THEM.. A LOT!

For future reference, don't spend the two hours looking for him after you lose the blood trail next time. Back off and let him bed down over night.

Keep looking and keep the faith, brother. There's still a good chance you will find him.

Been there.

Spend some serious time looking for him tomorrow. Even if he doesn't die overnight there's a good chance he will be bedded down, weak and half way in shock when you spot him. You will probably be able to get another arrow in him if you're careful.

Go slow and quiet while looking for him and take binoculars. USE THEM.. A LOT!

For future reference, don't spend the two hours looking for him after you lose the blood trail next time. Back off and let him bed down over night.

Keep looking and keep the faith, brother. There's still a good chance you will find him.
I appreciate the advice and encouragement. And you are right, I shouldn't have kept looking, but I really didn't want to lose him. Hopefully tomorrow will be more luck finding him.

Man that sucks, but it has happen to most of us. Just sucks since it’s your first. Maybe you will find him tomorrow though.

Back
Top Bottom