• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/21 hunt

5E3FC5F9-F5C8-4122-B789-EFDF2194D52C.jpeg

Kill a big un! You already brought home the groceries. House Money Hunt.
My brother hunted middle of the day and I hunted evening till dark. We both saw a couple of squirrels and nothing else. Looks like our season may be over as we generally don't see deer after mid-November on the property. May give it a couple of weeks rest and try again. Everyone around us hunts and I think the deer have gone nocturnal. Hard to hold deer on a 64 acre track even with the lake.

A lot of deer are moving at night right now everywhere.
Your peak feeding time today was at 11:40.
I hunted a food plot this afternoon and only saw 10.
The bucks seem to be locked up with does or running them at night.
When I hunted Saturday afternoon, I only saw 5 bucks and 1 doe but they were all small and they all out in 1 plot at the same time.

A friend hunted a property we lease that is 400 acres it is about 10 miles to the property we own and saw 28 from daylight to 11am. I am sure some were the same deer. A nice one was trailing a doe on an treeline and couldnt get on him.

I had about 30 min of available light when I got into the woods last night.
Had three run up the ridge line above me.
I stopped one with a doe bleat but it must have continued on.

I top to the hill you can see in the picture and this guy was standing down there. Play cat and mouse with him for about 15 minutes but decided not to take the shot since he’s not a big eight point I’m trying to get. Now I’m kind of thinking I should’ve. View attachment 4990512
It’s easy to second guess yourself, but if you decided to pass in the moment then you probably did the right thing. You seem to want to kill a big buck. You can’t do that unless you pass the younger, smaller ones. I trophy hunt bucks. I shoot does for meat and herd management. I don’t care how others decide to do it. It’s their prerogative. Just offering some encouragement that you needn’t second guess yourself.

It’s easy to second guess yourself, but if you decided to pass in the moment then you probably did the right thing. You seem to want to kill a big buck. You can’t do that unless you pass the younger, smaller ones. I trophy hunt bucks. I shoot does for meat and herd management. I don’t care how others decide to do it. It’s their prerogative. Just offering some encouragement that you needn’t second guess yourself.
Well my options are very slim where I hunt. I only have about 5 acres to hunt on and there is lots of hunters in the surrounding woods. That one in the picture is usually about as large as you get to see you up there. This was the first year I’ve ever gotten an eight point and he was a small eight. I really just would like to get something worthy of doing some sort of mount. It is very easy to second-guess yourself. Hoping to find some better hunting options in the future.

Back
Top Bottom