• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/26 Hunt

Have a friend that shot a big doe a few years ago while hunting in Monticello. When he got to it, it was a buck that had dropped his antlers. Since then, they have noticed several bucks do the same thing in November and December. It is unusual .
The biggest bodied deer I have ever killed (about 180 dressed) was during the last week of December many years ago in Greene County. I thought it was a big doe and when I walked up on it I realized it was missing a set of antlers. Man I would love to have seen him a month earlier.

thats why that family membership BS doesnt work.
yep, I like our mostly family club, all of us family members get along and have an agreement of killing good deer with the exception of the spike I shot last month as my first buck, then they come blast away at anything that moves. I don't agree with how his boys come down and hunt by themselves or without their dad there at the least. we got to talking yesterday evening after they left and I told my wife's grandfather either they go or I go and he said they're out next year, they called and told them today and they weren't too upset but asked why, told them tired of babysitting when they're down there and having anything they see shot at. Can't say I'm gonna miss them.

I have a spot I sit that is almost a guarantee you will get a shot at a deer and for a couple years this one doe circled downwind of me and warned the woods that i was there most everytime I would sit there, I hunted there late season when the leaves where all gone and saw her making her usual wide circle heading downwind only this time I picked her off through a hole in the brush, that was an old doe and bigger than most all the other does i normally see there

Kind of early for bucks to have dropped their antlers; but, I had 2 does and a yearling in a bean field at 250yds, hit the doe grunt a couple times and here they all come. About 150yds out and a big bodied deer comes out the wood line, nose down and starts chasing the mature does. Could see the stumps from dropped antlers in the binos. Of course, I changed spots and didn't have the 300WM. I wasn't about to start launching rounds with the 45-70...another day.

About 6years ago I was hunting early December and seen what I thought was a big doe walk out. I shot and dropped it where it stood. When I was walking up I could see from behind it was a buck. When I got to him and looked at it’s head the spot where the antlers should have been was a bloody mess. Looked like a bloody pumice stone. I pulled the trail cam card the next day and that deer had been there 3 days before with both antlers. Two days before he had one and that day obviously none. What I also seen on the trail cam card was that every night when he showed shortly after was a bruiser. The only thing I could figure was that he lost them fighting.

This year, just a few days ago I went down to pull cards and found an antler laying on the edge of the food plot in front of the camera. When I got back and looked at the pic there are several pics of the bucks fighting in front of the cam. Didn’t actually get a shot if the moment the antler came loose but it would have been cool. I think a lot of times when a buck is missing antlers it’s probably because there’s a buck bigger than him that is hanging around.

About 6years ago I was hunting early December and seen what I thought was a big doe walk out. I shot and dropped it where it stood. When I was walking up I could see from behind it was a buck. When I got to him and looked at it’s head the spot where the antlers should have been was a bloody mess. Looked like a bloody pumice stone. I pulled the trail cam card the next day and that deer had been there 3 days before with both antlers. Two days before he had one and that day obviously none. What I also seen on the trail cam card was that every night when he showed shortly after was a bruiser. The only thing I could figure was that he lost them fighting.

This year, just a few days ago I went down to pull cards and found an antler laying on the edge of the food plot in front of the camera. When I got back and looked at the pic there are several pics of the bucks fighting in front of the cam. Didn’t actually get a shot if the moment the antler came loose but it would have been cool. I think a lot of times when a buck is missing antlers it’s probably because there’s a buck bigger than him that is hanging around.
Would be interesting to see the pictures!

Posted a few pics of fights I’ve gotten this year. I will go through and find the ones I was referring to in my post tmr. I have actually gottena bunch of fights on cam this year.

Attachments

• BFCC3FB6-B9AA-4247-BDB1-C0A8EF25FCDF.jpeg
    BFCC3FB6-B9AA-4247-BDB1-C0A8EF25FCDF.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 12
  • 29D06809-B1B1-4BA1-95B9-795961FB135A.jpeg
    29D06809-B1B1-4BA1-95B9-795961FB135A.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 7D9E09FD-7DFF-4E80-B19C-8502BB9D9ABF.jpeg
    7D9E09FD-7DFF-4E80-B19C-8502BB9D9ABF.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 12
  • D00E5C79-2C4F-45B8-A5DC-36AE98A1B55C.jpeg
    D00E5C79-2C4F-45B8-A5DC-36AE98A1B55C.jpeg