• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/27 hunt

Got up about 7:30…..had a cup of coffee. Had some does out back at feeder. Pulled out cross bow…..made a nice 15 yard shot. Old girl went 35 yards and I watched her stumble then tumble. We got too many neighborhood deer. Time to thin the heard a bit. Will put the meat in as many needy freezers as I can for the holidays. Hope y’all shoot ‘em well. Nite.
D78BBF65-5C57-43EB-8AF7-D46C2557F3CF.jpeg

Ended up culling this spike. He's been on the hit list for awhile, but I was waiting for the rut to wind down. I hit him a little high in the shoulder, but he dropped on the spot and never twitched. 165gr Barnes TTSX out of a 300wm is a hammer!
That a Boy thats one of my favorite calibre. 😁 meet on the table

Ended up culling this spike. He's been on the hit list for awhile, but I was waiting for the rut to wind down. I hit him a little high in the shoulder, but he dropped on the spot and never twitched. 165gr Barnes TTSX out of a 300wm is a hammer!
Congrats!
I run Barnes ammo in dang near all of my long guns!

Saw no deer last evening but had a gorgeous mature male fox come by with his winter coat all golden and fluffy.
What a beautiful creature.

He ran all over both ridges and circled around me several times at a fast pace on a mission to flush out a bunny.

Had three Tom’s take off the hillside next to me like a runway to gain altitude into the trees on the next ridge.
One Tom landed in the tree next to me…he had easily a 10” beard.

Did not see any deer…..I think someone may have shot that spike I was watching tending his scrapes cause the other night when he went up the hill behind me I heard a single rifle report 15 min later.
I figured I would have seen him yesterday for sure since I was on stand for 5 hours.

After dark when I was packing up I heard Mr. Fox letting out some of those famous creepy bloodcurdling barks that would give most people the heeby geebys.
I was laughing because I know my Daughters would have freaked the hell out if they heard that in the dark and was wishing they could have heard that…lol.

Don’t know about y’all but there was literally no moonlight at all last night and was one of the rare occasions I actually had to use a headlamp to make my way out of the woods.

Today might be a really good day to hunt….the 28th.

Got skunked on Saturday morning but spent some time after the hunt setting up a spot. We moved a ladder-stand of mine up the hill a bit so it had a better view. Then spent some time dragging some of the underbrush and clearing a few saplings that were in the way.

Turn to Sunday and we got out a bit early to move another one of my stands and another members. That took longer then planned so I just ran down and hopped in the stand we had moved on Saturday. With just working on it the day before I didn’t have high expectations.

Right at 5:40 I see movement coming from the end of the row I cleared as a doe comes out and immediately turns into some thick stuff without giving me a shot. I slide my scope back over to where she came out hoping that she wasn’t alone. She wasn’t and this doe was even bigger. She made the same turn but this time stopped at a little window in the brush. I let the 30-30 eat and I see her leap in the air as the smoke clears. She didn’t go 30 before dropping.
8A9A3DF0-320D-479B-B852-427AEA20A6A2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom