• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11.5 or 12.5 5.56 Barrel?

11.5" or 12.5" Barrel

• Total voters
What caliber?

I built a 12.5" AR10 pistol just for the fun of it. It's a smoke breathing boom stick.

I run a suppressed 300BO 10.5" pistol. Any shorter loses too much velocity - Any longer doesnt gain much.

Never spec'ed out a 5.56

What caliber?

I built a 12.5" AR10 pistol just for the fun of it. It's a smoke breathing boom stick.

I run a suppressed 300BO 10.5" pistol. Any shorter loses too much velocity - Any longer doesnt gain much.

Never spec'ed out a 5.56

Wanting to stay 5.56 at the moment beings i have ammo. Dont want to fight over a new caliber in an ammo shortage.

I like 11.5”, mainly because I’m a big fan of the Sionics 11.5” CHF CL barrel with Reduced Gas Port. Use a Vltor A5 buffer system and she’ll run suppressed and non-suppressed without resorting to adjustable parts.

ATF is playing funky games with "pistol" length definitions.

I would go for a barrel length to keep me right at 26"

Length of pull from the front of the trigger to rear of the gun in the collapsed/shortest position of 13.5 or less....a Law Tactical adapter would be ideal.

Performance wise 10" or more for 5.56 is good.
For me any shorter and 9mm...45acp...300blk...5.7 ...even 7.62x39 is a better choice performance wise.

7" AR15 is a blast monster without a can.... 10" and up take some of the edge off and give a decent performance boost to the 5.56

A lot of my thoughts on this are from rounds down range through various platforms.

I would love a new CZ Bren 2ms in 11" but all I see are 8.5 and 14.5" barrels for 5.56

If you don't suppress it then store it with some hearing protection. If you don't use either then invest in some hearing aids. Those shorter barrels are loud to the point of being almost unusable without protection.
I would take out the word almost. You will only shoot it once without putting in ear protection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If suppressing now of in the future 11.5. If never planning to suppress 12.5 will give you a little advantage at range for fragmentation. However. SBR's are not meant to be 300 yard + rifles. Can they be? Sure but not the purpose. Heavier bullet helps but the ammo cost goes up from standard 55 grain M193 ball.

Back
Top Bottom