• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

$11.95 shipped RATS tourniquets

Everything I've read suggest that the RATs TQ is a decent TQ and that it is combat proven. Will it provide as much pressure as a CAT style TQ with the twist lever? Probably not but its also more compact than a CAT TQ and I'd rather have a TQ than having to tear a shirt or something to use.

Also I'm not a doctor or medic but isnt it possible to apply a tourniquet too tight?

With any tourniquet, you tighten until the bleeding stops, so yes there can be a “too tight” to where you unnecessarily damage the tissue and increase the likelihood of amputation, but if applied properly, that won’t happen.

RATS tourniquets compress a much smaller surface area versus a CAT or SOFT-T. More likely to kill the surrounding tissue. They are a PITA to get tight when covered in blood and become very slippery, not a good situation for self application. They are nearly impossible to adjust (tighten or loosen) once applied without basically having to start over. “Combat proven” maybe a decade + ago. There are better options out there. We’ve used CATs for years in the military and current wilderness and TCCC classes if you find one are worth the money to do some hands on and test out the different options out there.

Not trying to tell anyone to not buy one, but they are exceptionally inferior to what is standard with current technology and not TCCC approved.

I asked a friend of mine who's an AEMT about these and this is his answer.

"No, they are total junk.
The Committee on Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (C-TECC) approves only 2 TQ's. They are the SOF-T and the CAT. I carry the CAT as I prefer their system of securing the windlass. If you purchase one, beware of fakes. Buy from quality sources like NAR or Chinook Medical. As is often the case, good gear is not cheap but when you are talking about saving your or someone you care abouts life, lowest bidder is not the best option. "

The Committee on Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (C-TECC) approves only 2 TQ's. They are the SOF-T and the CAT. I carry the CAT as I prefer their system of securing the windlass. If you purchase one, beware of fakes. Buy from quality sources like NAR or Chinook Medical. As is often the case, good gear is not cheap but when you are talking about saving your or someone you care abouts life, lowest bidder is not the best option. "

I have heard this in a training class, but rats have the advantage on children and k9’s. The CAT or Sof-t would be my first choice, but I carry a rats also for ease and size. I would rather at least have that then be stuck with an improvised TQ. No matter what get training and understand your gear, how it works, and its limitations

I have heard this in a training class, but rats have the advantage on children and k9’s. The CAT or Sof-t would be my first choice, but I carry a rats also for ease and size. I would rather at least have that then be stuck with an improvised TQ. No matter what get training and understand your gear, how it works, and its limitations

Training is on the To-Do list. That should happen as soon as I'm not working 70 hrs a week.
I want to have a kit that has more than bandaids in my van.

Training is on the To-Do list. That should happen as soon as I'm not working 70 hrs a week.
I want to have a kit that has more than bandaids in my van.

I hear you. I took the one a month or so back that @cmshoot put on at tru prep. Good course for the basics and how to use a ifak and TQ

It my understanding at CoTECC has never evaluated the RATS because it has not been submitted for DoD or Military contracts.

One of the benefits of a rats is to be useful on very small limbs (children, elderly, animals). Also can be used on large limbs as you can spread out the pressure of the bungee. They are legit and have their place (and as stated very easy to carry). I have 2 CATS and 2 RATS. Both have purpose. Give this a listen if ya doubt em. Real world feedback and discussion by 2 guys that know their stuff. I respect john lovell a lot and think he has a lot to offer in tactics and training. This is a good listen

One of the benefits of a rats is to be useful on very small limbs (children, elderly, animals). Also can be used on large limbs as you can spread out the pressure of the bungee. They are legit and have their place (and as stated very easy to carry). I have 2 CATS and 2 RATS. Both have purpose. Give this a listen if ya doubt em. Real world feedback and discussion by 2 guys that know their stuff. I respect john lovell a lot and think he has a lot to offer in tactics and training. This is a good listen

Good stuff, I've seen that video before but forgot about it until you shared it.

Good stuff, I've seen that video before but forgot about it until you shared it.

Yeah. I have a rats on my waistline daily. Often, guys that carry a firearm leave it at that. Just a gun. They feel "ready for anything." But in reality are far from it. Being prepared for that active shooter scenario ya played out in your head is not just takin out the bad guy, its the potential aftermath. The bleeding out of you or loved ones. If ya carry a gun, its probably because ya may need to use it and not just for added bulk to be tacticool. Well, the liklihood of needing a tourniqet is much more likely than a firearm. Car wrecks, gun shots, any kind of accident and a tourniqet can be the difference of life or death. Its alwats good keepin the red stuff in your body. I feel if you are going to go through the hassle of carrying a gun, carry other tools as well. For me, thats non lethal alternative to a gun, i choose pepper gel for that role. Again, liklihood of using pepper gel would be higher than a firearm. Ya can't shoot someone just for being a punk and in your face or causing a scene with you, family, fellow men. But ya can shut em up with spicey treat dispensers. Same goes for needing/using a flashlight. I use that a lot more than my gun day to day. A gun is a last resort item for life or death issue. I think its good to have tools that fill the niche in everything short of "draw and shoot problems". Just my 2 cents. To each there own.

Back
Top Bottom