• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12-12 Hunt

Was a super clear morning and stars were incredible in the mountains.
I had a feeling they were up all night.
I got way up on a ridge and spooked a bunch in the dark that were curious and wanted a look at me.
I had one about five yards from me staring at me in the dark with its eyeballs glowing from my headlight.
Didn’t see one deer after first light and not one squirrel was stirring at all…..was really strange because that area is covered up with squirrels.
Went back out to roughly same spot last evening and got in deeper into the hardwoods to watch a couple trail convergences ……I only had an hour on stand before last shooting light.
I heard a few trotting down a game trail that ran behind me and down deeper into the thicker stuff.
Never saw any but at least I learned where to sit next time.
It’s not always about the hunt….sometimes you gotta spend time to learn where their patterns lead them.

Earned my very first deer on a beautiful day - crisp air, crunchy leaves, blue sky and sunshine. 8 pt buck taken at 20 yards or so with my Ruger Redhawk in .41magnum. Left ear entry and bullet stayed in his skull. Collapsed near instantly. I'm closer to 50 than I feel like so a bit old to start hunting but I sure enjoy creeping around in the woods trying to find my target. Started with squirrels two years back and now trying my hand with deer. Second time I've been out hunting for deer. This past weekend was a blessing.

Attachments

• 20211213_124657_copy_1242x613.jpg
    20211213_124657_copy_1242x613.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 59
Earned my very first deer on a beautiful day - crisp air, crunchy leaves, blue sky and sunshine. 8 pt buck taken at 20 yards or so with my Ruger Redhawk in .41magnum. Left ear entry and bullet stayed in his skull. Collapsed near instantly. I'm closer to 50 than I feel like so a bit old to start hunting but I sure enjoy creeping around in the woods trying to find my target. Started with squirrels two years back and now trying my hand with deer. Second time I've been out hunting for deer. This past weekend was a blessing.

nice shooting.

Back
Top Bottom