• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12-13 hunt

Larry floyd

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
5   0
Reaction score
anybody seeing anything this morning? Seems like a promising morning here. Nice and cool. Wind doing exactly what I need it to, when there is any. And already seen 5 doe.

More doe. No buck yet

Attachments

• 0444A503-BEDA-4F69-AFEF-C232873F191B.jpeg
    0444A503-BEDA-4F69-AFEF-C232873F191B.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 0CFC62A0-EC5A-4A93-8F1A-326E3835B888.jpeg
    0CFC62A0-EC5A-4A93-8F1A-326E3835B888.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 46
  • C9134ABF-6135-4EDB-BE44-691C1375675E.jpeg
    C9134ABF-6135-4EDB-BE44-691C1375675E.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 45
Went yesterday in the wind tunnel and didn't see anything except horizontal leaves going by. Going down today to Precision firearms to go shooting and stretch out the guns a little. Tomorrow after looks like a possible for them also. Good luck and post pics later.

Where is precision firearms and how far can you shoot there?
I usually go out to Gunsite Hills in Lexington but you can only shoot out to 715YDS there.

Believe it or not, I saw a ton of deer yesterday in the hurricane. And several does tonight!

Where is precision firearms and how far can you shoot there?
I usually go out to Gunsite Hills in Lexington but you can only shoot out to 715YDS there.

300yds. Very laid back and Paul (owner) was out helping us zero a couple of weapons. I didn't get down to the pistol range as we only brought center fire rifles.

Believe it or not, I saw a ton of deer yesterday in the hurricane. And several does tonight!

Honestly just about every hunter I know prefers calm windless days. I know on guy that no matter the moon phase, rut, or anything else effecting deer movement if the wind is blowing steady or even gusting over 2mph according to the weather apps he will not go hunting. But my person preference based on experience is days where it’s good and cold and the wind is sustained around 6-7 mph or gusty up to 10-15 mph. Seems like the deer move more. Now in my experience they won’t sit on food plots or corn piles for long periods of time when the winds like that but to me it seems like they don’t like to sit still when the wind is blowing like that because I believe it makes them feel skiddish because they can’t spot or hear or even smell a predator sneaking up as easily when they are bedded and everything around them is constantly moving in the wind and the scent is being carried and disappated by the wind. Now I’m not trying to piss any hard core hunters off. This is only my personal opinion, experience, and observations. This is not backed by any kind of science, article, or even the years and years of experience some of you guys have and my opinion on this may change over the years this is just where I’m at right now. I know even as a hunter on a perfectly calm day it’s easy to spot a deer creeping through the woods even at 100+ yards but on a windy day it’s hard to tell the difference at first glance through the limbs and leave some between a deer walking and a limb swaying in the wind.

Back
Top Bottom