• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12/2 Hunt

I don't know what happened. LOL...7 mag is so fast it normally zips right through..Perhaps because of the neck shot. I don't know. At least you didn't have to track very far. LOL..But seriously, the closer the shot, the cleaner the wound, from my experience, which has been extensive.

I don’t know man. She was quartering towards me from left to right and looking directly at me when I shot, so the bullet ran down the side of her neck coming out vs a through shot from the other side. Been shooting my 22-250 for about 8 years now and have gotten in the habit of shooting them in the neck so I don’t have to track them or mess up meat. Got a brake put on the 7mag a few weeks ago and decided it was time to take her hunting again. Didn’t figure there was any reason not to continue shooting in the neck and saving that meat.

Biggest hole I ever put in a deer was with a 30-30.Caught the rear rib on a quartering away shot and a 170 Winchester/Western took that whole side of the rib cage off.Wont be no pic, cameras werent invented then

7mm Rem Mag 140 grain Winchester Silvertip. She was only 17 yards away.

First wanted to say congrats. But wanted to respond to the posts about the wound not being as clean as some expected. I know everyone has their ammunition of choice. Mine used to be Winchester. For years I don’t think I shot anything that wasn’t winchester. But two seasons ago I picked up a couple boxes of Winchester deer season XP. I was using them in my Remington 700 and when I zero I always place one round in the chamber at a time.( there’s a point to why I mentioned that). I got my rifle zeroed quick and it was shooting nice tight groups at 100 and 200 yards. So a couple days later I loaded 4 rounds in the rifle and headed to the stand. The sun came up and at around 10 a nice buck walked out at about 60 yards. I brought my rifle up and fired. Soon as I fired I was pretty sure it was a miss based on the deer’s reaction and where I seen dust from the bullet impact. Couldn’t believe it but it happens. The next day had a doe come out at about 75 yards (was in a different stand, this was a box stand and had a good supported shot) I fired and the doe ran off. Went down and found a little bit of blood but not enough to trail. Went and got my dog and headed back out. About 200 yards away I found the doe dead. The bullet had hit low and about 2 inches forward of the rear hip. Again I was pretty upset being I knew I was dead on with my aim. So after cleaning the deer I went and set up my targets. I put one in the chamber and fired it hit dead center. So I figured I needed to recreate exactly what had happened so took the target to my stand set it at 75 yards. Loaded 4 rounds and chambered and fired. The round hit way high and right. Chambered another and it hit the ground under the target the other two hit nowhere near center. Had the rifle locked in place in a Caldwell tripod so the rifle wasn’t moving. So I loaded 4 more rounds and cycled them through the rifle and picked them up. Every one of the grey tips were pushed sideways. I took a new round and pushed the tip with my thumb. With very little pressure it pushed almost sideways. Then I tried to pull it out and it did with little resistance. So I gave the rest of what I had away and started using a different ammo. I was pretty upset at the time Andy swore off Winchester all together along with any ammo that has one of those polymer tips. But now it’s just anything with a polymer tip. It could be the reason for the wound not being as clean as a lot of you guys would have expected. When I was shooting the target you could see that some rounds had started to tumble. Anyway sorry for the long post and hope I didn’t offend any Winchester fans.

Back
Top Bottom