• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12-31 Hunt

If I had a buck tag I would be looking to bust a 4 point for meat. Lots of the does have been bred, and can only breed 1x a year. Those bucks can breed 15-20x or more. Depending on the ratios, of course. In my area the buck to doe ratio is excellent, so taking out a young buck would be ideal.

Good luck to everyone. I'm afraid I may be done for the year. I would love to find a day where 3-4 guys could get together and run some late season drives. I always enjoyed doing that.

I was hoping to do some late season drives on my lease but the doggone briars are head high out in the clearcuts. Drivers would have to carry a pole instead of a shotgun to knock briars down.

Reactions: MRH
Spooked one last night coming out. Going back in a little bit to drop it. :becky:
Good luck all!

I hope you get him!

Thanks for the well wishes, but my little buddy didn't get him tonight. We saw nothing! My biggest fear is that he is getting discouraged, but I keep telling him that's why it's called hunting, not killing.

I told him we have two weekends left, and he is optimistic. That eleven with two drop tines we have on camera has him hopeful. Fingers crossed..........

I was hoping to do some late season drives on my lease but the doggone briars are head high out in the clearcuts. Drivers would have to carry a pole instead of a shotgun to knock briars down.

A few guys stomping around will get them moving. Pick up a log or a big rock and toss them into the thickest junk. I have seen these crazy techniques work...Many times!.

A few guys stomping around will get them moving. Pick up a log or a big rock and toss them into the thickest junk. I have seen these crazy techniques work...Many times!.
It works for sure. We used to push a thick draw behind a cow pasture down in Macon County. It had a road on one side of the drainage and the pasture on the other. It was about 150 yards long, 75 yards wide at the top and tapered down to about 20 yards at the end. The end of the drainage bordered some 30 year old thinned pines. It was a perfect little spot to drive. The deer would never go across the pasture-they’d try to cross the road on the opposite side as the pushers went down or they’d go all the way to the end and haul butt across the mature pine stand. It was a great little spot and it produced deer most often.

Reactions: MRH
It works for sure. We used to push a thick draw behind a cow pasture down in Macon County. It had a road on one side of the drainage and the pasture on the other. It was about 150 yards long, 75 yards wide at the top and tapered down to about 20 yards at the end. The end of the drainage bordered some 30 year old thinned pines. It was a perfect little spot to drive. The deer would never go across the pasture-they’d try to cross the road on the opposite side as the pushers went down or they’d go all the way to the end and haul butt across the mature pine stand. It was a great little spot and it produced deer most often.

Sounds like a honey hole! Man I love doing those late season drives!

America’s only PETA approved hunter is in the woods
D29ECC99-03BC-4488-9A01-A1722152527F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom