• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12 gauge buckshot reloading?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
122   0
Reaction score
I know it's not worth the time/effort/money to reload standard 12 gauge shotshells but I would like to reload some buckshot and/or slugs.

I've got a bunch of winchester AA-HS shells, a press (MEC) and will soon have a bunch of 00 buckshot via Lee casting buckshot mold.

looking for wad info and powder recommendations. I have a ton of pistol and rifle powders but not much shotgun specific. The only one I have that I've seen in a few guides is Unique. I don't mind buying a pound or two of powder to try out. I don't think I'll load up 1k of these but wouldn't mind having some around.

from what I have read it sounds like if you want to use 9 00 buckshot in a 12 gauge you will more than likely have to cut the petals off the wad and use it that way.

I did get the Lyman shotshell handbook and have been reading thru it. the 9 pellets should be the same as any other 1 1/8oz loads, but figured I'd check with the ODT and see if anyone has a favorite load. It would mostly be used in an 1187 remington semi so something that will function in a semi would be nice. :)

lastly if anyone knows of a good slug mold that would allow me to load a similar load to the buckshot (i.e. 1oz or 1 1/8oz slug that might use the same power and wad (different grain powder is fine) that would be ideal. Lyman makes some good ones from what I see (12 gauge foster slug mold).

fire away!

If its for defense, I have a friend back home that reloads using crushes glass marbles and he'll load some with lead shot fishing weights clamped on a 12'' length of fishing line, 1''-2'' apart. He a bit sadistic.

Definitely good intel on castboolits site, just watch out for that EMC45 guy.....(weirdo)

I load on my Mec 9 pellet buck in Universal and AA Winchester hulls. 3 stacks of 3 Lee .310 round balls from their mold. They work pretty good for plinking fun.

Back
Top Bottom