• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12 Questions! Proud new 7.3 owner needs your 4x4 awesomeness advice!

Look into a transmission cooler from the 6.0 liter powerstrokes. A good tune can actually help with longevity. PHP, gearhead, etc. You generally want to double your weight with your winch. For example, if your truck weighs 5,000 go with a 10,000 lb winch. The Warn hubs are a good upgrade. Most RanchHand front bumpers have a receiver built in. Also, stay away from oiled cotton air filters like K&N. They get the oil sucked out of them by the turbo and dust can ruin a turbo pretty quickly. Check out powerstroke.org and powerstrokearmy.com. Lots of good info on both of those sites.

Look into a transmission cooler from the 6.0 liter powerstrokes. A good tune can actually help with longevity. PHP, gearhead, etc. You generally want to double your weight with your winch. For example, if your truck weighs 5,000 go with a 10,000 lb winch. The Warn hubs are a good upgrade. Most RanchHand front bumpers have a receiver built in. Also, stay away from oiled cotton air filters like K&N. They get the oil sucked out of them by the turbo and dust can ruin a turbo pretty quickly. Check out powerstroke.org and powerstrokearmy.com. Lots of good info on both of those sites.

Thanks for all the great info!

I'm thinking against the leveling kit because I don't want to be jacked up in the air when I tow.
Maybe air bags in the rear would balance that outhe though?

I'm thinking against the leveling kit because I don't want to be jacked up in the air when I tow.
Maybe air bags in the rear would balance that outhe though?

Air bags are a good idea for towing. I wouldn't use them for any lift though. Your ride quality will suffer. Look into "X" code springs for the front. They were an option on trucks with the snow plow package. They should gain you 2-3 inches and are better than a spring pack leveling kit. Find some f350 blocks for the rear and you'll be pretty level.

If you get airbags spend the extra coin for the onboard compressor. My cousin and I have the same bags. He has to pull into a service station to add air to his and the nozzle is in the fuel cap area.

I can fill mine while rolling down the road. The compressor isn't much more.

image-20170219_085247.jpg

I had a hypertech on my 7.3. Not as fancy as the 6 pos chips, but it worked well. 3 modes, economy, towing, and race. I always had mine setup in economy mode, even while towing.

Actually when I sold the truck I sold it without the tuner and put the truck back to stock. I still have it I guess I should probably sell it since I don't have a 7.3 anymore.

My dad bought it the day he bought the truck new. 17 years and 230k miles and never had a problem with it.

Air bags are a good idea for towing. I wouldn't use them for any lift though. Your ride quality will suffer. Look into "X" code springs for the front. They were an option on trucks with the snow plow package. They should gain you 2-3 inches and are better than a spring pack leveling kit. Find some f350 blocks for the rear and you'll be pretty level.

good tip. I was wondering that if I level the truck then load it the truck will lean back. Then I could use the air bags to level the truck back out? In theory anyway

Buy a spare CPS and carry it in the glove box with a wrench. They're a known issue and prone to giving up at the most inopportune times, which leaves you stranded. Simple fix to swap out if you have one with you. Google it, lots of info.

Fuel additives; low-sulfur diesel doesn't have the lubricating properties of the older diesel, a good fuel additive like "Diesel Kleen" will help with mileage and quiet down the injector cackle.

Pay attention to coolant and SCA; 7.3s are prone to cavitation issues and need the proper coolant with additives.

Fuel bowl drain, yellow lever on back of fuel bowl, is prone to leaking. Check it periodically.

Windshields are prone to leaking on that body style, "wet cat" smell and damp floor will clue you in, hard to nail down if you don't know about it.

Ford has a "severe duty" filter box & kit to increase available air with a bigger filter, fairly inexpensive as far as filter kits and works great.

Front hubs/unit bearings are a POS, as are ball joints. Dynatrac and SpynTec make a conversion kit for hubs/unit bearings, I've used the SpynTec and loved it. Pricey but eliminates a weak link. Ball joints, just expect to change them, big tires kill them faster.

Steering gear box is prone to wearing in center giving vague, wandering feel to steering. Look at a Red Head steering box if you need to change it.

I'll second the other posts on transmission, it can't handle heat. Tow with OD off if heavy, feels like it's lugging or starts hunting gears. Use temp gauge. Look into a John Wood valve body if you want a simple but effective upgrade to a stock trans.

Plug it in when it's below about 40, much easier on starter, batteries, and the neighbors when it's cold out. Doesn't have to stay plugged in all night, usually 30 minutes will do it but either way, it'll be happier if you do.

Stay on top of filters and fluids, unless running a bypass filter or lift pump kit, keep your service interval short. Filters are cheap compared to injectors and engines. Don't use cheap filters! I stick with Motorcraft, AC Delco, CAT, etc.

Love the RanchHand bumpers, have had one on a K2500 for about 20 years, paid for itself many times saving me from suicidal deer. They're heavy, but bomb proof.

Research the ".25 cent mod" for 7.3s, deals with UVCH, another known issue.

Love the 7.3s, taken care of, you'll have a great rig. Not a tire smoking 1,000 ft lb engine, but will chug along all day and be happy doing it. Keep speed below 70 and drive like an egg is under the throttle and you can get decent mileage as well.

If your not going to run a tuner of some kind I wouldn't worry about extra srings or air bags. They are dogs in stock trim when you put any weight behind them. Don't let folks scare you out of purchasing a tuner. Mines had one on it its entire life in one form or another. they are a lot better these days than in 99-03 but I have run 4 different syles over the years. mines an 03 with almost 200k and all I have done is change the water pump. Stock trans is still living and I actually just changed the stock transmission fluid out at 195k miles because it stopped shifting out of 2nd gear. I dropped the valve body and manually shifted the valves and its been shifting fine ever since. Prob liked the new fluid a lot. Put a tuner on it ....

Back
Top Bottom