• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12 yr review 20,000 rounds!

GALongRanger

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
81   0
Reaction score
I got a marlin 60 about 12 years ago and just wanted to share my review I ran over 20,000 rounds in it all kinds from cheap to expensive ammo. After every 1000 rounds or so I would run a brush down the barrel and clean the barrel and squirt wd-40 in the action. If it ever jammed I would squirt wd-40 in it and wipe off what I could with a rag and that was it. Most of the rounds in this gun were unloaded as fast as possible, many times over 500 rounds in a shooting. It was used in every weather condition in Ga yes there were failures to feed, eject and fire. I dont have a exact count on that but I would say below 200 all together some of that was cheap ammo. So after all this time I never cleaned inside the gun so the other day I took it all apart and boy what a mess it was the worst I have ever seen anything. I should have took pictures but didnt think about it maybe in another decade. I notice a huge difference in the action after cleaning, I think it took me almost 3 hrs to clean it up. So I give it 9 out of 10, for what I done to this gun I would find it hard to believe other .22s would do the same I have had many .22s none that shot like this one and It can still hit golf balls at 40 yds. Over all the marlin 60 is one tough gun. So if you want a basic hard to beat fun shooter the marlin 60 is the way to go.

I have one that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 years old. Number of rounds through it? Hell if I know. Dad was the original owner and passed it to me. Other than a small part in the trigger group breaking about 10 years ago, I've had no issues that weren't related to being really really dirty and/or super terrible ammo.

Yeah, these are fantastic guns, lol.

I bought one used in 1966,still have it. Have had one rnd that barely cleared th muzzle, (rem) and one misfire (cci), no ftf or ftes'. Still my favorite to shoot, but the 10/22 pushes it a bit. I've heard folks on here lament cleanning them, SO many springs, if you are taking the whole rec down, you are doing it wrong. Take the hammer/trigger mechanism off, wash in in solvent, dry it off, and re-oil, she wil run like a top

i bought mine with grass cutting $$ in 1980. like you said, thousands of rounds without a hiccup. bought another one at academy last year. the M&P 15/22 has nothing on my marlins.

i definitely agree that marlin is a top notch maker. i have had several m-60s and now a 795. you cant beat em unless you spend 10x the money and even then it would only be marginally better. you can bet ur life on the m-60

Back
Top Bottom