• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12 yr review 20,000 rounds!

I got a marlin 60 about 12 years ago and just wanted to share my review I ran over 20,000 rounds in it all kinds from cheap to expensive ammo. After every 1000 rounds or so I would run a brush down the barrel and clean the barrel and squirt wd-40 in the action. If it ever jammed I would squirt wd-40 in it and wipe off what I could with a rag and that was it. Most of the rounds in this gun were unloaded as fast as possible, many times over 500 rounds in a shooting. It was used in every weather condition in Ga yes there were failures to feed, eject and fire. I dont have a exact count on that but I would say below 200 all together some of that was cheap ammo. So after all this time I never cleaned inside the gun so the other day I took it all apart and boy what a mess it was the worst I have ever seen anything. I should have took pictures but didnt think about it maybe in another decade. I notice a huge difference in the action after cleaning, I think it took me almost 3 hrs to clean it up. So I give it 9 out of 10, for what I done to this gun I would find it hard to believe other .22s would do the same I have had many .22s none that shot like this one and It can still hit golf balls at 40 yds. Over all the marlin 60 is one tough gun. So if you want a basic hard to beat fun shooter the marlin 60 is the way to go.

FWIW - I just stumbled across this thread and if the point has been made, you can disregard this.

A number of years ago (when revolvers were standard issue) a cop had an encounter with a bad guy. The cop fired six times, but his revolver failed each and every time. The armorers fired bullets left from that lot that was issued to the cop. No problems. They took the cop's weapon apart and looked at every component. Nothing. On a whim, an armorer asked what the officer used to clean his gun with. Turns out it was WD 40.

The armorer put WD 40 on weapons and the ammo. He then put other cleaning solvents on some other weapons and lots of ammo. After some time, the armorer tried the ammo that had been sprayed with WD 40. The primers failed. That condition did not happen in any of the other weapons.

I read the story in a magazine and it could have been American Survival Guide or one of those of the era (we're talking mid to late 1980s.) I never forgot the article and as a result, I don't keep WD 40 near any weapons. That is just FWIW.

If it ever jammed I would squirt wd-40 in it and wipe off what I could with a rag and that was it. Most of the rounds in this gun were unloaded as fast as possible, many times over 500 rounds in a shooting. It was used in every weather condition in Ga yes there were failures to feed, eject and fire.

I can't say for sure that your gun's jamming problems came from being dirty. I had a Ruger 10/22 that had feeding problems right out of the box, no mods, even with several different bullet types. It turned out to be that bullets were being shaved and gouged by the sharp upper edge of the face of the breech, the edge of the chamber-hole. I radiused the corner with an electric drill and a giant Q-tip dipped in metal polishing paste, and that worked.

All .22 semi-autos are dirty, and I helped clean a friend's Marlin model 60 that had NEVER, ever, been taken out of its stock. His dad had only cleaned the bore and occasionally oiled the bolt. Well, it was still reliable when my friend and I used it, but at the end of that shooting session I brought my cleaning kit over to his place and we cleaned it right. But, looking back, we probably only "needed to" just hose the barreled action down with "Gun Scrubber" first, followed by "WD-40" second, dried the excess WD40 off as best we could, and then put in a few well-aimed drops of real gun oil on the wear points and pivot points around the pins. 99% of the gunk that we got off that gun came pouring out after we hit it with a long stream of Gun Scrubber or maybe aerosol Brake Parts Cleaner.

IMG_4445.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom