• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol good to hear!! I really love the sierra gamekings. I use 180 grain GK SPBT in my 308 for both match and hunting loads. I did a lot of load development work with them so I wanted to be able to use it for both.
Most of my loads are flat base bullets.Never had to shoot much over 100 yards.Have some 150 grain RN corelokts loaded in the 308 and they are some real thumpers.Thanks will get a box of GK's and wring em out

Care to explain why 3gr is a deal breaker? Curiosity and all.
wanted info on a 165 grain deer load.Not a 168 match bullet. I prefer soft point ammo when hunting deer so I settled on 165 because I use 150 in the 308 and 30-30 Bolt gun I have.Just a little variety

So it's not weight so much as bullet design. I'm picking up what you are putting down. Look at game kings, basically a tipped matchking with thinner jacket. Match bullets wreck thin skinned game btw. They tend to fragment giving massive energy dump. YMMV

So it's not weight so much as bullet design. I'm picking up what you are putting down. Look at game kings, basically a tipped matchking with thinner jacket. Match bullets wreck thin skinned game btw. They tend to fragment giving massive energy dump. YMMV
:thumb: will do.

Please don't use a match bullet for hunting as someone suggested. They are mostly FMJ or HPBT and will pencil right through a deer with very minimal energy transfer. You will either wound an animal or follow a blood trail for hours. Use soft point bullets that were MADE for hunting. Sierra Gamekings SP-BT are great--- and guess what!? they have them in 165 grain... these will give you match grade accuracy as well as stopping power.

Plus one on Sierra game kings, just reloaded some for another caliber.

I love the Nossler Partition, I have used it in 300 mag, 30-06, and 308. Taken Elk down to helmet hats..Never been disappointed.
These are great projectiles... a classic. A little pricey tho. Core locks are very similar to Partitions. They are a competitive offset. S GK SPBT is similar too except BT version at a great price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom