• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of my loads are flat base bullets.Never had to shoot much over 100 yards.Have some 150 grain RN corelokts loaded in the 308 and they are some real thumpers.Thanks will get a box of GK's and wring em out
Awesome! You won't be disappointed. Just don't get the GK HPBT. They don't fly too good. Just look at the HP and you will know why.

I have Ruger MKII in 30.06. The Ruger has a 1 in 10 twist. Yours has ??.

Every load that I have ever shot had about the same accuracy, about 1 MOA, if I used matching quality brass. Mixed brass has always killed my group size--more than as in other caliber guns.

The best load for me with a 165 has been with 60.0 RL22 and a magnum primer. Second best load has been 58.0 H414/W760 with a magnum primer. I am rounding down my powder numbers, and I load, right into the lands.

As always, for safety, reduce your load and work up.

what is a good 165 grain load for a bolt action 30-06 to use deer hunting?

I like the 165 gr Sierra Game King. Most say to load it around 2800 fps but I back it off to around 2600. I seem to have better success with expansion. At 2800 fps or more the bullet seems to explode/fragment. Being the old fashioned kind that I am, I prefer IMR 4895 or IMR 4064 and use a powder drop (don't worry about the crunch of the long grain powder) but I drop it light then trickle to the desired weight for consistency & safety. The Sierra manual list loads (grains) for IMR 4064 as: 45.1 gr = 2600 fps, 46.9 gr =2700 fps, & 48.7 gr (MAX LOAD) = 2800 fps. COAL 3.330". Case length- Trim to 2.485

Late to the game and did not go back and read BUT... I use a 130 gr Barnes Triple Shock all copper over 55.5 gr of Varget powder and BR2 Primer.. My primary M77 in 3006 loves this recipe..

I have loaded a 150 grain Nosler / Winchester silvertip too with a bit less powder (don't recall off hand) and same primer with excellent results..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom