• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

#152 Bullpup Springfield Hellion (Croatian VHS-2)

will4me

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
Staff member
351   0
Reaction score
My next review is of my new Springfield Hellion Bullpup.
I just picked this up and went to the range the very next day.
My First Impressions of this is WOW what a Sexy looking rifle and it reminds me of the Halo battle Rifle.
I saw this rifle a few years ago on a website talking about different bullpup rifles and this one was in trials for the French Military and used by Croatia as the main battle rifle.
I was hoping one day to see this in the US as a Offering to this market and well here it is.
So when I hold the rifle I notice that it is a little rear heavy as compared to the Kel-Tec RDB and even more so when loaded.
The rear heaviness is not a problem except when moving the rifle to the shooting position and when doing drills I hit my chin once, but after that was able to control it because I knew about the heaviness of the rear end.
Shooting the rifle is a joy as it has way less recoil than the Kel-Tec RDB and is more controllable on follow up shots.
The trigger is the only real complaint I have about this rifle as it is Just OK for a Battle rifle and hopefully someone will make a trigger pack or upgrade for this rifle soon.
The trigger has a lot of take-up and then when it starts to get hard it will creep a little then Break and the reset is somewhat short but could be improved as well.
The trigger was consistent at least and measured around 6.25 lbs average.
I was able to get decent results with the stock iron sites (the scope on it was not on it at the time of shooting) and at 25 yards, the groups were around 1.25in average, and at at 50 yards the groups were about 2.5in but I think if I use better ammo instead of steel case ammo I can do WAY better.
I will update this when I shoot again with a better Sites/Scope and Better Ammo.
The other complaint is the safety as it is a little hard to manipulate but still not to much of a bother.
The Magazine release is well thought out in my opinion and easy to use.
I tried 3 different magazine manufactures not including the P-Mag which came with the rifle (it worked flawlessly).
1. Lancer 20 and 30 rounders
2. Old colt 20 rounder metal magazines.
3. Promag 30 round Plastic mag
All of these Magazines worked Flawlessly, and me and my Son put 150 rounds each through this rifle.
Also not a Single Issue with this rifle as it fired everything perfectly.
This rifle is Easy to change to left hand shooting and comes with the instructions in the manual on how to do it.
I changed mine over to left hand just to see how hard it was and even on the first time I was done in less than 10 minutes (I think I can do it WAY faster from now on).

1.jpg
2.jpg

Ok so over this weekend I took this rifle and my Tavor 7 out to shoot (will post a Tavor 7 review later).
I was in Florida at my new land I just Purchased and was shooting 50 then 100 yards.
At 50 yards with the pictured 3x scope on it I was able to get .75 inch groups with Normandy Hand loads and at 100 yards was getting 1.5 inch groups with the same ammo.
With junk steel case ammo was able to get 1 inch groups at 50 yards and 2.25 inch at 100 yards and I consider that really well coming from a battle rifle.
Those numbers were average from shooting 200 rounds of each type of ammo.
I still think those numbers could be way better if it had a nicer trigger.
Mag changes are getting easier and faster so the more I shoot this one the more I like it.
Overall I will hang on to this one and keep using it till I am familiar with it and can use it with muscle memory.

Back
Top Bottom