• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

16"/50 caliber naval gun

I was with A Co Marine Barracks Subic Bay, in the Jungle Operations Branch in the early 1990's. Mariposa isn't one of the bars I know, must have changed names by my time. Lots of good ones up and down Magsaysay Avenue and Gordon Avenue.

My barracks was up near the upper MAU in old quonset huts (hot as a 3 peckered billygoat) then we moved down to Cubi Pt. across from the B Co Marines and they guarded the NavMag back then. Mariposas was on the left side of Magsaysay about 2 klicks from the Sh$t river bridge. I was there from May 83'-Nov85 and got to experience the revolution against Marcos. Barely made it out of Manila after the Aquino assasination but overall had a ton of fun.

My barracks was up near the upper MAU in old quonset huts (hot as a 3 peckered billygoat) then we moved down to Cubi Pt. across from the B Co Marines and they guarded the NavMag back then. Mariposas was on the left side of Magsaysay about 2 klicks from the Sh$t river bridge. I was there from May 83'-Nov85 and got to experience the revolution against Marcos. Barely made it out of Manila after the Aquino assasination but overall had a ton of fun.

When I was there B Co still guarded the NavMag.

Was Mariposa a street level or 2nd story bar?

I had great times there, on and off duty.

I read a story back in the day.

When the Navy was "modernizing" the battleships for duty - adding CIWS and Tomahawk missiles - they thought they should make the 16" guns computer controlled. You see, the old aiming mechanisms were analog. Analog as in gears and cams and the like.

The team evaluating the project scrapped the idea of devising a computer to control the guns because they could not improve on the accuracy of the analog systems.

Those designers back in 1939/40 were pretty freakin' bad ass...

When I was there B Co still guarded the NavMag.

Was Mariposa a street level or 2nd story bar?

I had great times there, on and off duty.
Street level on the corner. It was open 24 hours a day and we would go there after the mid shift and have beer and lumpia for breakfast. Good memories.

IMG_0811.JPG
Can't think of what bar that was when I was there.

Too bad the Iowa's were never restored to their WW2 finish during the Reagan years. None of the ships could hit their designed 33kts. Rifle systems were not kept in proper order either. The way the Navy handled the turret 2 mess on Iowa is disheartening as well.

I'd like to see what a current harpoon or other ASM would do to an older warship. Modern ships have nothing in the way or armor. Wouldn't be surprised to see a modern nuclear BB loaded to bear with railguns and armored to match. Carriers seem to be too big and costly while risking a lot to modern missiles and torpedoes. The carriers days may be numbered.

Back
Top Bottom