• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

16" 6.8 SPC barrel?

Ronaldo Crespin

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
34   0
Reaction score
Is 16" good enough for a 6.8 spc or is a longer barrel recommended?

I just couldn't resist; I bought the Bear Creek Arms 16" M4 barrel in 6.8 spc, from Primary Arms. I mean, $69.99, how could I go wrong??? I will admit, the thing lacks finesse, but for the price, as long as it goes bang, puts a hole in a piece of paper, and doesn't blow up my build, I'm good! I apologize, but I just can't afford the LWRC rifle, but I would love to have a magazine called the "black widow"! As usual, it's a work in progress.

Any thoughts?

I think that their shipping department is a little rough on their barrels, but everything looks good, considering...
DSCF1045.JPG

DSCF1043 (2).JPG

from what I have read, that is the beauty of the 6.8 is that a 16 to 18 inch barrel is optimum for the round where as a 6.5 grendel takes a 20-24 to reach full burn. I think a 16 inch is fine. If you look at LWRC, which makes tons of the 6.8 rifles, they don't make anything longer than a 16.1.....you should be happy.

16" is fine for the SPC.

Any idea if they gave a spec for the chamber? The biggest issue for the 6.8 when it was first developed was the different spec chambers that they used. The official SAAMI spec had some flaws, so it was modified by most people interested in the 6.8 to the Spec II chambers or something like that. They worked much better with most of the higher pressure rounds.

I have an LMT with a 16" 6.8 barrel but I had to find the proper reamer and ream out the chamber so I could use the "better" ammo (SSA makes some hotter loads if you have the right chamber). The twist still isn't ideal (I don't remember what it is in the LMT) but it's better than it was..

but yes, the 16" 6.8 barrel should be good to go.

It is a SPC II version, if that is what you mean by the specs for the chamber. I don't remember reading anything about that on the PA website. At least, that is what is stamped into the barrel = 6.8 SPC II 1:10.

I looked on Brownell's for a 6.8 reamer and couldn't find anything. I googled it and only found some individual out of Michigan that made a reamer, but I think that I would trust a well known brand more than some guy that makes his own stuff. I don't know anything about the different variations but I thought the chamber looked a little rough so I would like to clean it up with a quality finishing reamer.

If I can manage to squirrel up the cash, I think that I will buy the Daniel Defense 18". It has a mid length gas port, hammer forged with a 1:11 twist (don't know if 1:10 vs 1:11 is critical). It looks like a good quality barrel (threaded 5/8 x 24 also), but it is $289, so it may be a while before I get it.

I went a slightly different direction with the receivers but I think I like it. The "afraid to get it scratched" factor just went way up though. I know that the Magpul M2 FDE mag isn't going to work with 6.8 but it helps the photo. I plan to get some of the Barrett mags and have them Cerakoted, or maybe not, don't know yet. And, yes, that is an upper without the forward assist. I have found that I just don't like the forward assist sticking out on my receiver's. And, I have Delrin plugs in my other receivers and have never had any malfunctions with the forward assist missing.

Pic is as good as I can do until my studio gets built. :rolleyes:
DSCF1051.JPG

DSCF1051 (2).JPG

It is a SPC II version, if that is what you mean by the specs for the chamber. I don't remember reading anything about that on the PA website. At least, that is what is stamped into the barrel = 6.8 SPC II 1:10.

I looked on Brownell's for a 6.8 reamer and couldn't find anything. I googled it and only found some individual out of Michigan that made a reamer, but I think that I would trust a well known brand more than some guy that makes his own stuff. I don't know anything about the different variations but I thought the chamber looked a little rough so I would like to clean it up with a quality finishing reamer.
the SPC II chamber is what you want. Some of the older guns where not the "latest" spec and there were a few reamers floating around that people would lend out to ream out your chamber to the new spec. It's been many moons since I spent much time on the 6.8 forums, so I would guess that has pretty much gone now that everyone is using the most recent chambers.

looks like you are on the way to a very nice build. I need to take mine out and shoot it one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom