• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

178gr eld load

GoDawgsGo

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
178   0
Reaction score
Ok let me start off by saying I'm very new to reloading 308.

I've been trying to figure out a good load for 178gr eld match bullet. I loaded up several loads and decided to go with 43gr of varget in lake city brass with 2.85 oal. The average speed was 2616 with a sd of 10.

Today was the first time I got to shoot this load for accuracy it was at 100 yards. I shot inside and had the rifle in a sled. The group was not great at all maybe half dollar size at best.

My rifle is a Remington 700 sps 1/10 in a McMillan stock vortex glass and aac sdn suppressor.

My question is what should i try to get this load to shoot better? Or is this not a good load for my rifle? I'm by no means a great precision shooter but I would have thought this load would have done pretty well in a sled.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pic of rifle . IMG_2924.JPG

I would consider working up towards 45grains Varget, and perhaps, beyond. Particularly if you are loading the bullet with a long COAL to get the bullet up near the rifle grooves.

However, If you are feeling less secure in terms of safety with your own loads than you do with factory ammo, I would shoot a few more of your current load until you are certain that you are relaxed. I had a hard time focusing on my shooting when I started reloading.

The speeds you are shooting are about right for a 308 so I wouldn't think about going up to a load of 45 grs of varget,unless I worked up to it looking for pressure.The 1/10 twist is fine for that bullet.If its not grouping like you want try increasing the powder charge a little and see if your groups open up more.If you have tried a lot of different powder charges and 43 grs is the best one try some different seating depths.The gun might just not like that bullet.Theres a lot of different varibles that goes into reloading,its not just a one size fits all kind of thing.

Yeah, you ought to ladder test at 10 thousandths off the lands to get a good charge, and then vary the depth.

I too am trying to find a load for that bullet. However, my first attempt was 1.25", at several different powder charges-- 10 thousandths off the lands. I've got another series loaded, waiting for a chance to fire them.

But I know my gun likes Sierra Match Kings 175 gr. It will shoot them into .75" (and I mean five; a real group) at magazine length. Yup. 2.805"-- which is like .2" off the lands on the this gun. So I know there's potential to have this gun do better than .75"... but I'm going to focus on the 178 ELD first. I have the Sierra load to give me something to toss at steel until I come up with something better.

Back
Top Bottom